Relationships of the number kind

In summary, the speaker is looking for recommendations on number relationships to explore, as they are interested in the properties of numbers and want to work through some simple problems. The suggestion is made to read about primes, including how to count and determine them, and how to factor composite numbers. The speaker is also encouraged to try and find new patterns of primes and potentially predict the next prime for a chance at the Fields Medal. The speaker expresses gratitude for the suggestion.
Cladinator
I'm wondering if someone could recommend some number relationships that I could look into.

I don't have loads of math under my belt quite yet. I'm currently in college trigonometry and college algebra. I start my calculus classes next semester and my physics classes the following semester.

I think that stuff is interesting.
I don't really know which relationships to look at, though. Could someone please point me in the right direction? I really just want to discover some of the properties of numbers for myself by working through some simple problems. I just don't know how to get started.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can read about primes. It is a fascinating topic. How to count them, how to determine if a number is a prime, how to factor composite numbers. You can try to find new patterns of primes ( that will keep you busy for the next 50 years) and if you can predict the next prime, you will get the Fields Medal ( the Nobel for math ). Wikipedia is a good start on the subject.

Thank you, epsi00. That DOES sound interesting.
That's exactly the thing I had in mind.
Thank you for the response.

1. What are the different types of relationships between numbers?

There are several types of relationships between numbers, including addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. There are also more complex relationships such as ratios, proportions, and percentages.

2. How can I determine if two numbers are related?

If two numbers have a common factor or multiple, they are considered related. For example, the numbers 6 and 12 are related because they both have 2 as a common factor.

3. What is the significance of prime numbers in relationships of numbers?

Prime numbers are important in relationships of numbers because they can only be divided by 1 and themselves. This makes them useful in identifying common factors and multiples.

4. How can I use relationships of numbers in everyday life?

Understanding relationships of numbers can help in many practical situations, such as calculating discounts, finding the best deal, and determining proportions in recipes or measurements.

5. Can relationships of numbers be represented visually?

Yes, relationships of numbers can be represented visually through diagrams, charts, and graphs. This can help in understanding and analyzing the relationships between numbers in a more visual and intuitive way.