Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relationships of the number kind

1. Nov 23, 2011 #1
    I'm wondering if someone could recommend some number relationships that I could look into.

I don't have loads of math under my belt quite yet. I'm currently in college trigonometry and college algebra. I start my calculus classes next semester and my physics classes the following semester.

I think that stuff is interesting.
    I don't really know which relationships to look at, though. Could someone please point me in the right direction? I really just want to discover some of the properties of numbers for myself by working through some simple problems. I just don't know how to get started.

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2011 #2
    You can read about primes. It is a fascinating topic. How to count them, how to determine if a number is a prime, how to factor composite numbers. You can try to find new patterns of primes ( that will keep you busy for the next 50 years) and if you can predict the next prime, you will get the Fields Medal ( the Nobel for math ). Wikipedia is a good start on the subject.

4. Nov 24, 2011 #3
    Thank you, epsi00. That DOES sound interesting.
    That's exactly the thing I had in mind.
    Thank you for the response.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook