Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relative antiparallel photons generate Q. M.?

1. Mar 21, 2004 #1
    Take an EPR experiment's singlet state emitting two equivalent photons, each propagating at speed c in opposite directions from each other. What is the apparent speed for the one photon in the reference frame of the other?

That this situation (the microscopic analog to the horizon problem) is classically anomalous requires quantum symmetry-breaking of relativity (as the horizon problem involves the Higgs asymmetry), thus EPR photon spins correlate to Bell inequality violation.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2004 #2

TeV

There's no inertial reference frame in which photon is at rest.
    In every inertial reference frame (in vacuum) the speed is c.
    So,you can reformulate the question and ask:>Assuming one finds a reference frame fixed to say left propagating photon anyway,what would be consequantly the "speed" of the right propagating one in such theoretical r. frame?<"
    A:Infinite.

P.S. Big mystery of photon is it doesn't "sense" the passage of time.
    It is forever young,doomed to endless motion in our observable universe ,if it doesn't couple to a matterial particle.This in effect results in infinite distance reach of EM force.

4. Mar 22, 2004 #3

ahrkron

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

As TeV pointed out, there is no "photon's reference frame". The most you could do is send a photon in one direction and an observer at 0.999c in the other. Then, the speed of the photon wrt the observer is c (TeV: why would it be infinite?)

What horizon problem?

You seem to be making stuff up. What symmetry in relativity are you talking about? what do you mean by "quantum symmetry-breaking"?

AFAIK, there is no such thing as the "Higgs asymmetry". Are you refering to electroweak symmetry breaking?

The Higgs is the field that would be responsible for the spontaneous breaking of electroweak gauge symmetry, hence allowing mass terms for all particles, but it produces no "symmetry-breaking of relativity", and I have never heard of any "horizon problem" involving the Higgs field. It seems to me that you are merging together words in sentences that seem interesting, but that show a lack of understanding of how the concepts mentioned are interrelated.

I don't think this follows logically from any of what you wrote.

[Edit: took out the boldface]

5. Mar 22, 2004 #4
  6. Mar 22, 2004 #5
    ahrkron and Nommos Prime (Dogon),

What I hypothesize is that superluminal quantum correlations utilize the same underlying mechanism as cosmological inflation - asymmetry of a Higgs potential - allowing either process statistical agreement over FTL intervals.

Justifying the observed homogeniety between opposite universal horizons' blackbody temperatures suggests a tremendous, early-on acceleration of expansion, at a rate many orders above the speed of light. This inflation, a la Guth, is attributed to the break from symmetry effected by a Higgs mechanism.

Likewise, I propose that wherever correlated (entangled) particles separate superluminally, that they maintain those statistics through a cosmological Higgs dynamic alone. (Their "stochastic speed" is some 1028 fold beyond that of light.) The probabilistic residue that violates the Bell inequality is therefore representative of the true vacuum vs the false vacuum of accustomed physics.

7. Mar 23, 2004 #6

ahrkron

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Let's go step by step.

Can you specify what you mean with "asymmetry of a Higgs potential"?
    Then,
    How is that related to inflation?

8. Mar 23, 2004 #7

TeV

Re: Re: Relative antiparallel photons generate Q. M.?

Oops,sorry.That was my typo (English is not my native language).
    I certainly meant INDEFINITE.
    The cause and effect (causility wise) must be preserved in any multidimensional model of universe.However,both SR and GR suffers from the problems relating singularity in the case of the free photon "at rest".From the standpoint of photon there's no time,and one spatial dimension is missing as well.Not to mention cosmology problem of total energy resource in treating reference frame with these properties (not discused in SR at all).Hence,the speed is indefinite.

9. Mar 23, 2004 #8
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?