Did I Miss Something in Disputing a Popular Book's Solution on Relative Motion?

In summary, the book is right and the answer is that in general, for frames that are permitted to rotate, the derivatives of vectors depend on the angular velocity of the frame!
guv
Homework Statement
200 More challening physics problems question #2

Ann is sitting on the edge of a carousel that has a radius of 6 m and is
rotating steadily. Bob is standing still on the ground at a point that is 12 m from the
centre of the carousel. At a particular instant, Bob observes Ann moving directly
towards him with a speed of 1 m s−1. With what speed does Ann observe Bob to
be moving at that same moment?

The hint from the book: Be careful, the transformation principle due to Galileo Galilei applies
only to inertial reference frames. The idea that Ann simply observes Bob moving
towards her with a speed of 1 m s−1 is false.

Solution: some complex calculation involving using the center of the carousel. Bob's velocity relative to the center is decomposed into tangetial and radial components, the tangential components ##\sqrt{3}## m/s is used as solution.
Relevant Equations
$$v_{a/b} = - v_{b/a}$$
I do not agree, this is bullocks. We can simply set up position vector of ##\vec A(t)## and ##\vec B(t)## with respect to the fixed center of the carousel, their relative velocity is simply ##\frac{d (A-B)}{dt}## or ##\frac{d (B-A)}{dt}##

Since this is a pretty popular book, I am wondering if I overlooked any detail in disputing the book's solution.

Physics news on Phys.org
The book is right! The answer is that in general, for frames that are permitted to rotate, the derivatives of vectors depend on the angular velocity of the frame! As a theorem, if frame ##\mathcal{B}## rotates at ##\boldsymbol{\omega}## relative to frame ##\mathcal{A}##, then the derivative of an arbitrary vector ##\mathbf{u}## with respect to these two frames are related by$$\left( \frac{\mathrm{d}\mathbf{u}}{\mathrm{d}t} \right)_{\mathcal{A}} = \left( \frac{\mathrm{d}\mathbf{u}}{\mathrm{d}t} \right)_{\mathcal{B}} + \boldsymbol{\omega} \times \mathbf{u}$$It is because of how we define the derivatives of vectors with respect to ##\mathcal{A}## and ##\mathcal{B}##. If ##\{\mathbf{e}_i \}## is the basis of ##\mathcal{A}##, for instance, and ##\{\tilde{\mathbf{e}}_i \}## a basis for ##\mathcal{B}## then you have ##\mathbf{u} = u_i \mathbf{e}_i = \tilde{u}_i \tilde{\mathbf{e}}_i##, and we define:$$\left( \frac{\mathrm{d}\mathbf{u}}{\mathrm{d}t} \right)_{\mathcal{A}} := \sum_i \frac{\mathrm{d}u_i}{\mathrm{d}t} \mathbf{e}_i$$i.e. treating the ##\mathcal{A}## basis as constant, whilst$$\left( \frac{\mathrm{d}\mathbf{u}}{\mathrm{d}t} \right)_{\mathcal{B}} := \sum_i \frac{\mathrm{d}\tilde{u}_i}{\mathrm{d}t} \tilde{\mathbf{e}}_i$$i.e. treating the ##\mathcal{B}## basis as constant. You can see how they are related by writing ##\tilde{\mathbf{e}_i} = R_{ij}(t) \mathbf{e}_j## where ##R_{ij}(t)## is a time-dependent rotation matrix.

So even though the relative position vector ##\mathbf{x}## is indeed invariant (as all vectors are), its time-derivatives with respect to both frames are different. For more info consult a classical mechanics text e.g. Douglas Gregory.

Likes guv
Very good, that was the detail I overlooked. Thanks.

Likes berkeman and etotheipi

Related to Did I Miss Something in Disputing a Popular Book's Solution on Relative Motion?

1. What is relative motion confusion?

Relative motion confusion is a phenomenon that occurs when an observer perceives movement or motion of an object that is actually stationary. This can be caused by various factors such as illusions, visual cues, or physiological conditions.

2. How does relative motion confusion affect our perception?

Relative motion confusion can cause our perception of motion to be inaccurate or distorted. It can also lead to misinterpretation of visual stimuli and affect our ability to judge distances and speeds accurately.

3. What are the common causes of relative motion confusion?

Some common causes of relative motion confusion include the movement of other objects in the environment, visual illusions, changes in lighting or contrast, and certain medical conditions such as vertigo or motion sickness.

4. Can relative motion confusion be prevented or corrected?

While it is not always possible to prevent relative motion confusion, it can be minimized by avoiding situations that can trigger it, such as fast-moving objects or environments with high levels of visual stimuli. In some cases, corrective lenses or treatments for underlying medical conditions may also help.

5. Is relative motion confusion a serious issue?

In most cases, relative motion confusion is not a serious issue and can be easily corrected or managed. However, in certain situations such as driving or operating heavy machinery, it can be dangerous and should be addressed promptly. If you experience frequent or severe episodes of relative motion confusion, it is important to consult a medical professional for proper diagnosis and treatment.