1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

RELATIVE MOTION wooden boxcar, sniper, bullets oh my!

1. Sep 18, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A wooden boxcar is moving along a straight railroad track at speed v1. A sniper fires a bullet (initial speed v2) at it from a high powered rifle. The bullet passes thought both lengthwise walls of the car, its entrance and exit holes being exactly opposite each other as viewed from within the car. From what direction, relative to the track, is the bullet fired from? Assume that the bullet is not deflected upon entering the car, but that its speed is decreased by 20%. Take v1 to be 85 km/h and v2 = 650 m/s.

2. Relevant equations

3eca9149-c5a9-457f-ab77-365aa4d7a3d5.jpe

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't understand what is going on. Can someone please explain the explanation to me. For example, why is the triangle set up as it is. Why is the hypotenuse the speed of the bullet as it is leaving the boxcar? And why do we have to subtract from 180 degrees.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted