Calculate Travel Time for Plane with Ground Velocity of 796km/h in 100km [N]

In summary, the individual is struggling with a question that requires the formula T=V*D and a diagram. They are unsure how to begin and express their concern for a final exam. They mention the lack of information on wind speed and direction and suggest finding the vertical or north component of the vector at 795*cos(25) and using it in d=vt to find the time.
swirly90
1. How long will it take a plane to travel 100km [N] if its ground velocity is 796km/h [25 W of N]

I am having the hardest time with question since I actually don't know how to start. I know it require the fomula T= V*D. I manage to get a diagram but that is far as I gone. =(

mjmjbc.jpg

Help? I have a final tomorrow and I need to able to do this kind of questions.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is an odd question. Are you sure you weren't given any information about the wind speed and direction?

As it stands, I would say you are just asked to find the vertical or north component of the vector. That is 795*cos(25). And use that speed in d = vt where d is 100 km to find the time.

I quoted it word for word, that is all your given =(

1. How do you calculate travel time for a plane with a ground velocity of 796km/h?

To calculate travel time, you can use the formula: Time = Distance / Velocity. In this case, the distance is 100km and the velocity is 796km/h. So, the travel time would be 100km / 796km/h = 0.125 hours. This can also be expressed as 7.5 minutes.

2. Can you explain the concept of ground velocity and how it affects travel time?

Ground velocity is the speed at which an object is moving relative to the surface of the Earth. In the context of a plane, it refers to the speed at which the plane is traveling in relation to the ground. This speed is important in calculating travel time because it determines how quickly the plane will cover a certain distance.

3. How does direction play a role in calculating travel time for a plane?

Direction is important because it affects the distance the plane has to travel. For example, if the 100km distance is in a northward direction, the plane will have to travel a longer distance compared to if the distance is in a westward direction. Therefore, the travel time will be longer in the northward direction.

4. Is the ground velocity of a plane constant throughout the entire journey?

No, the ground velocity of a plane can vary depending on factors such as wind speed and direction. These factors can either increase or decrease the overall ground velocity of the plane, thereby affecting the travel time.

5. Are there any other factors that can impact the accuracy of calculating travel time for a plane?

Yes, there are other factors that can impact the accuracy of calculating travel time for a plane. These include air traffic, changes in altitude, and possible delays due to unforeseen circumstances. It is important to consider these factors when estimating travel time and to allow for some buffer time in case of unexpected events.