Relative Velocity and Projectile Motion

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the angle at which a low-flying helicopter should drop a packet of secret documents to a car traveling on a highway below. The conversation includes the kinematic equations for constant acceleration in two dimensions and the attempt at finding the solution, which is found to be 49.6 degrees. The concept of relative velocity is also briefly mentioned.
Kandycat

Homework Statement

A low-flying helicopter flying a constant 215 km/h horizontally wants to drop secret documents to his contact's open car which is traveling 155 km/h on a level highway 78.0 m below. At what angle (to the horizontal) should the car be in his sights when the packet is released?

1zxqywy.jpg

Homework Equations

Kinematic Equations for Constant Acceleration in Two Dimensions
X-component (horizontal):
vx = vx0 + axt
x = x0 + vx0t + .5axt2
vx2 = vx02 + 2ax(x-x0)

Y-Component (vertical):
vy = vy0 + ayt
y = y0 + vy0t + .5ayt2
vy2 = vy02 + 2ay(y-y0)

The Attempt at a Solution

Knowns:
Vhelicopter = 59.7 m/s
Vcar = 43.1 m/s
y = -78 m
y0 = 0
x0 = 0
g = -9.8 m/s2

vy2 = ?
vy2 = vy02 + 2ay(y-y0)
vy2 = 0 + 2 (-9.8 m/s2)(-78 m)
vy = 39.1 m/s

vx = Vhelicopter + Vcar = 59.7 m/s + 43.1 m/s = 102.8 m/s ? <-- I'm not sure I did this right. Probably didn't.

tan Θ = vy/vx = 39.1/102.8
Θ = 20 degrees

But the back of the book says that the answer is 49.6 degrees. I'm probably wrong and somewhere in my work I screwed up somewhere. My calculator is in degree mode.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok try finding the x distance the parcel will travel and take the inverse tan of the ratio of the two sides (i.e. x - distance and y - distance).

All right. I'm not sure if this is correct or not, but I found time.

y = y0 + vy0t + .5ayt2
-78 m = 0 + 0 + .5 (9.8 m/s2)t2
t = 3.99 s

Then after I found time. I took your advice.

x = x0 + vx0t + .5axt2
x = 0 + (59.7 m/s - 43.1 m/s)(3.99 s) + 0
x = 66.2 m

tan Θ = y/x = 78 m/66.2 m
Θ = 49.6 degrees

I'm still a bit confused about relative velocity though. Can someone explain how relative velocity works?

Thank you so much for your help!

Related to Relative Velocity and Projectile Motion

1. What is relative velocity?

Relative velocity refers to the speed and direction of an object in relation to another object or reference point. It takes into account the motion of both objects and can be calculated by subtracting one object's velocity from the other.

2. How does relative velocity affect projectile motion?

Relative velocity plays a crucial role in projectile motion, as the motion of a projectile is always relative to its initial velocity. This means that the projectile's speed and direction will constantly change as it moves through the air, depending on its initial velocity and the force of gravity acting on it.

3. Can relative velocity ever be negative?

Yes, relative velocity can be negative. This occurs when two objects are moving in opposite directions. For example, if a car is traveling north at 50 miles per hour and another car is traveling south at 30 miles per hour, their relative velocity would be -20 miles per hour.

4. How do you calculate the relative velocity of two objects moving in the same direction?

If two objects are moving in the same direction, the relative velocity can be calculated by subtracting the slower object's velocity from the faster object's velocity. This will give the relative speed at which the faster object is moving in relation to the slower object.

5. What is the difference between relative velocity and absolute velocity?

Relative velocity takes into account the motion of two objects in relation to each other, while absolute velocity measures the speed and direction of an object in relation to a fixed point in space. Absolute velocity is constant, while relative velocity can change depending on the reference point.