Relative Velocity Homework: Solve for Ball Rise Height

In summary, a science student on a train traveling at a constant speed of 10.0m/s throws a ball at an initial angle of 60.0 degrees with the horizontal. The ball rises vertically according to the professor observing on the ground nearby. Using the equations for velocity and displacement, the student was able to determine the height of the ball by calculating the velocity in the vertical direction and using it in the equation h= v{y}^2(sin^2(theta)) / 2g.
artfuldodger2

Homework Statement

A science student is riding on a flatcar of a train traveling along a straight horizontal tract at a constant speed of 10.0m/s. The student throws a ball along a path that she judges to make an initial angle of 60.0degrees with the horizontal and to be in line with the track. The student's professor, who is standing on the ground nearby, observes the ball to rise vertically. How high does the ball rise?

Homework Equations

velocity(ab) = velocity(ae)-velocity(be)
change in y=(v{o} sin{theta})t-.5gt^2
= v{o}t+.5at^2
change in x=v{o}t

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure what to assign for ab, ae and be in this problem.
Also, once I solve for the actual velocity, I'm still left with two unknowns, how far it has gone and how long it took to get there. What am I missing here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Since the professor just observes the ball to rise vertically one can assume that the horizontal component of the balls velocity is 10 m/s in the opposite direction to the trains motion.

Thank you for your reply Kurdt.

I was able to figure out the problem this morning after a good nights rest :)

I found the velocity in the vertical direction and from there it's pretty simple to find the max height using

h= v{y}^2(sin^2(theta)) / 2g

and in this case theta was 90, so it was just the velocity in the y-direction squared, over 2g.

At least, I think that's how it's done..?

Yeah that looks good.

1. What is relative velocity?

Relative velocity is the measure of the velocity of one object with respect to another object. It takes into account the movement of both objects and their direction of motion.

2. How do I solve for ball rise height using relative velocity?

In order to solve for ball rise height using relative velocity, you will need to know the initial velocity of the ball, the acceleration due to gravity, and the time the ball is in the air. You can then use the equation h = v0t + 1/2at2 to calculate the height.

3. What is the acceleration due to gravity?

The acceleration due to gravity is a constant value of 9.8 m/s2, which represents the rate at which objects accelerate towards the Earth due to the force of gravity.

4. Can relative velocity affect the height of a ball?

Yes, relative velocity can affect the height of a ball. If the ball is thrown upwards from a moving object, the relative velocity between the ball and the object will impact the height the ball can reach.

5. What are some real-life applications of relative velocity?

Relative velocity is used in many real-life applications, including navigation systems, astronomy, and sports. It is also important in understanding and predicting the motion of objects in different reference frames.