Relativistic collision problem

In summary, a collision between two protons can result in the creation of a positive pion and the conversion of one proton to a neutron. Conservation of energy and momentum are the key to solving this question.
insynC

Homework Statement

A collision between two protons can result in the creation of a positive pion and the conversion of one proton to a neutron:

p[tex]^{}+[/tex] + p[tex]^{}+[/tex] --> p[tex]^{}+[/tex] + n + [tex]\pi[/tex] [tex]^{}+[/tex]

(The last one is a positive pion, again sorry about my bad use of latex.)

Calculate the minimum kinetic energy (in MeV) for the protons in this reaction if the two protons have equal energy.

Homework Equations

I think conservation of energy and momentum are the key to solving this question.

The Attempt at a Solution

The fact the two initial protons means that as they have the same rest mass, they will have the same momentum and so the momentum of the initial system, and hence the final system, must be zero.

Thus while maintaining the total momentum as zero, I know I have to adjust the velocities of the three final particles to minimise the total energy of the system.

As momentum is proportional to v [tex]\gamma[/tex] and energy is proportional to [tex]\gamma[/tex], my thought is that the gamma factor for the more massive particles (neutron and proton) need to be minimised whilst the gamma for the pion needs to be maximised, as conceptually this should provide the minimum energy whilst still conserving momentum.

Nonetheless actually putting this into action has not led me to any success. I'm not sure if this is the right way to approach the problem, but I have the proton and neutron heading off perpendicularly (say in an x-y plane the proton in the -x direction and the neutron in the -y direction) whilst the pion is at some angle in the first quadrant (where x & y are positive).

Trying to solve the equations though are not only horrendous, but I end up with two variables in the one equation: [tex]\theta[/tex] (angle pion makes with x axis) and the gamma factor for the pion.

Is there a better way to approach this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Since the total initial momentum is zero, at the minimum energy, won't all of the reaction products be produced at rest in the center of mass frame?

Ah, woops. That would seem to make sense, I think I overcomplicated it :S.

What is a relativistic collision problem?

A relativistic collision problem is a type of problem in physics that deals with the collision of two objects moving at relativistic speeds, meaning speeds close to the speed of light. This type of problem typically involves calculating the momentum, energy, and velocity of the objects before and after the collision.

What are the main principles involved in solving a relativistic collision problem?

The main principles involved in solving a relativistic collision problem include the conservation of momentum and energy. This means that the total momentum and energy before the collision must be equal to the total momentum and energy after the collision. Additionally, the relativistic equations for momentum and energy must be used to accurately calculate the values.

How is the relativistic momentum equation different from the classical momentum equation?

The relativistic momentum equation, p = mv/√(1 - v^2/c^2), is different from the classical momentum equation, p = mv, because it takes into account the effects of relativity at high speeds. The term √(1 - v^2/c^2) is known as the Lorentz factor and accounts for the increase in mass and decrease in velocity at relativistic speeds.

What are some common examples of real-world relativistic collision problems?

Some common examples of real-world relativistic collision problems include collisions between subatomic particles in particle accelerators, collisions between particles in space, and collisions between high-speed particles and targets in nuclear reactions. These types of collisions are often studied in physics research to better understand the fundamental laws of the universe.

What are some techniques for solving relativistic collision problems?

Some techniques for solving relativistic collision problems include using the conservation of momentum and energy equations, applying the relativistic equations for momentum and energy, and breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts. It is also important to carefully consider the given information and use the appropriate units and values for calculations.