Relativistic Density of Cube Moving at 90% Speed of Light

In summary, the cube's density as measured by an experimenter in the laboratory as the cube moves through the laboratory at 90% of the speed of light in a direction perpendicular to one of its faces is 2000 kg/m^3.
Xaspire88
A cube has a density of 2000 kg/m^3 while at rest in the laboratory. What is the cube's density as measured by an experimenter in the laboratory as the cube moves through the laboratory at 90% of the speed of light in a direction perpendicular to one of its faces?

It's the dimensions of the cube that change not the mass correct? if this is the case would i use the equation
[tex]L = L^1 \sqrt{1 - v^2/c^2} [/tex]

This would give me how the dimensions of the cube would change. This new length equals .316 m. And so the density would be 2000 kg/.316 m^3? and then in kg/m^3 would be 6324.56 kg/m^3? does this seem logical?

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you compute the contraction factor?

If they define density as invariant mass over volume, then your approach (but not your answer) is correct.

In addition to length contraction and time dilation, another consequence of Special relativity is that mass of a moving object appears to increase with speed. This increase is actually proportional to the time dilation factor at very high speeds.

the mass at high speeds is given by

m = m0 / [tex]\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}[/tex]

where m0 is your rest mass, so you need to factor this in too i think.

Hope that helps. EK

I think i forgot to square my velocity initially. The answer should be 2000 kg/ .436m^3 or
4588.31 kg/ m^3?

Xaspire88 said:
I think i forgot to square my velocity initially. The answer should be 2000 kg/ .436m^3 or
4588.31 kg/ m^3?
Right. (Assuming the standard usage where mass means invariant mass; if so-called "relativistic" mass is meant, then the answer will be even higher.)

More than likely it is the relativistic mass. In which case i would need to solve for the relative mass of the particle while moving at .9c as well as the contraction factor of the cube..

2000/square root(1-0.9^2)= 4588.31 kg
and the calculated relative dimensions of the cube were calculated to be .436m
So the density of the cube would then be 4588.31kg/.436m^3 or 10526.3 kg/ m^3?

Xaspire88 said:
More than likely it is the relativistic mass.
The use of relativistic mass is a bit old-fashioned.
In which case i would need to solve for the relative mass of the particle while moving at .9c as well as the contraction factor of the cube..
Right. Just tack on another gamma factor.
2000/square root(1-0.9^2)= 4588.31 kg
and the calculated relative dimensions of the cube were calculated to be .436m
So the density of the cube would then be 4588.31kg/.436m^3 or 10526.3 kg/ m^3?
Yep.

You say old-fashioned. Do they now use it in the way relating it to the Energy of the particle. Such as in the case of the [tex]E^2 = (mc^2)^2 + (pc)^2[/tex]?

1. What is the relativistic density of a cube moving at 90% the speed of light?

The relativistic density of an object is the mass per unit volume as observed by an observer moving at a specific velocity relative to the object. In the case of a cube moving at 90% the speed of light, the relativistic density would be significantly higher than its rest mass density, due to the effects of time dilation and length contraction.

2. How does the relativistic density of a cube change as it approaches the speed of light?

As an object approaches the speed of light, its relativistic density increases significantly. This is due to the fact that the object's mass increases as it approaches the speed of light, while its volume decreases due to length contraction. This results in a higher density compared to its rest mass density.

3. Can the relativistic density of an object ever exceed its rest mass density?

No, the relativistic density of an object can never exceed its rest mass density. This is because the mass of an object can never exceed the speed of light, and as the object's velocity increases, its mass increases as well. Therefore, the relativistic density will always be less than or equal to its rest mass density.

4. How does the relativistic density of a cube at 90% the speed of light compare to its rest mass density?

The relativistic density of a cube at 90% the speed of light will be significantly higher than its rest mass density. This is due to the effects of time dilation and length contraction, which result in an increase in mass and decrease in volume, respectively.

5. What are the practical applications of understanding relativistic density at high speeds?

Understanding relativistic density at high speeds is important in many fields, such as astrophysics and particle physics. It helps us understand the behavior of objects at extreme velocities and can also aid in the design of high-speed transportation systems and spacecraft. Additionally, it plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of matter in extreme environments, such as black holes and supernovae.