Relativistic energy and time dilation

In summary, the person is seeking help with two questions. The first question involves calculating the velocity of a particle given only its kinetic energy. The second question pertains to calculating time dilation in the inertial frame of a satellite, where the calculated velocity appears to be insignificant. The person suggests using a Taylor approximation for a more accurate answer. They also express frustration with not being provided with essential constants in the assignments.
Marin
hi there!

I`m stuck on the following two questions and I hope you could help me :)

I´m given the kinetic energy of a particle. How am I supposed to calculate its velocity? there´s no mass of rest, no total energy, just the kinetic energy.

2. While trying to calculate the time dilation in the inertial frame of a satellite, it´s velocity appears too small to experience relativistic effects. The satellite´s orbit´s radius around the Earth is 20.10^6m, which gives a velocity of v=1454,4 m/s (with respect to Earth´s angular velocity). Now plugging it into the Lorentz factor "gamma" it appears to be really insignificant! Am I doing something wrong there?

thanks a lot in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
For your first question, I would assume that you are told what type of particle it is. If so, you can look up its rest mass and use that to calculate its velocity.For your 2nd question, I didn't bother plugging in the numbers, but your answer seems reasonable. The time dilation of a satellite is very small. If your calculator doesn't have enough significant digits to give you a more accurate answer than [itex]\gamma=1[/itex] , you can use a taylor approximation for gamma to get: [tex]\gamma=\left( 1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}\right)^{-1/2} \approx 1+\frac{v^2}{2c^2}[/tex] to give you a better answer.

thanks, gabbagabbahey!

but I still find it incorrect not to give such essential constants in the assignments. I thought I was doing it wrong :)

1. What is relativistic energy?

Relativistic energy is the energy possessed by an object due to its motion through space and time. It takes into account the effects of special relativity, including time dilation and length contraction.

2. How does time dilation affect relativistic energy?

Time dilation is the phenomenon in which time passes slower for objects that are moving at high speeds. This means that an observer measuring the energy of a moving object will see it as having a greater energy due to the slower passage of time.

3. What is the equation for calculating relativistic energy?

The equation for relativistic energy is E = mc^2 / (1 - v^2/c^2)^1/2, where E is the energy, m is the mass of the object, c is the speed of light, and v is the velocity of the object.

4. How does the concept of mass-energy equivalence relate to relativistic energy?

The concept of mass-energy equivalence, as described by Einstein's famous equation E=mc^2, states that mass and energy are equivalent and can be converted into one another. This means that relativistic energy is a form of energy that results from the mass of an object.

5. Can relativistic energy be observed in everyday life?

Yes, relativistic energy can be observed in everyday life. For example, GPS satellites in orbit around the Earth have to take into account the effects of time dilation in order to accurately track and transmit signals to devices on the ground. Additionally, particle accelerators, such as the Large Hadron Collider, use relativistic energy to accelerate particles to near-light speeds for experiments.