What is the Relativistic Mass of a Muon?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the relativistic mass of a muon traveling at v = 0.996c past a 4730m mountain, with a given rest mass energy of 1.69 x 10^-11 joules. The equation used is relativistic mass = m/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2), and the answer needed is 2.1 x 10^-27. The significance of the mountain is unclear and there may be another question related to this problem. The mass-energy equivalence equation is also mentioned.
mmcd051

Homework Statement

A muon traveling with negligible energy loss at v = 0.996c travels past a 4730m mountain. What is the relavitistic mass of the muon given the rest mass energy of 1.69 x 10^-11 joules?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I should be using relativistic mass = m/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2). So m = 1.69 x 10^-11, however I am unsure how to imput the other values into the equation. The answer i need to find is 2.1 x 10^-27. Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I do not understand the significance of the mountain to this question. Is there another question to this problem?

It is incorrect to say that m = 1.69x10-11 Joules. Mass (in kg) is related to energy (in Joules) through what famous equation?

What is the concept of relativistic mass?

Relativistic mass is an extension of the concept of mass in classical physics, which takes into account the effects of special relativity. It is the mass of an object as seen by an observer in a moving frame of reference.

How is the relativistic mass of a muon calculated?

The relativistic mass of a muon can be calculated using the equation m = m0/√(1 - v^2/c^2), where m0 is the rest mass of the muon, v is its velocity, and c is the speed of light.

What is the significance of the relativistic mass of a muon?

The relativistic mass of a muon is significant because it shows the increase in mass as the muon's velocity approaches the speed of light. This increase in mass is important in understanding the behavior and interactions of particles at high speeds.

How does the relativistic mass of a muon affect its lifetime?

As the velocity of a muon increases, its relativistic mass also increases. This leads to a longer lifetime for the muon, as its increased mass makes it more resistant to decay.

Can the relativistic mass of a muon ever exceed its rest mass?

No, according to the theory of special relativity, the relativistic mass of an object can never exceed its rest mass. As the velocity of the muon approaches the speed of light, its relativistic mass will approach infinity but will never actually exceed its rest mass.