Relativistic or Classical? Calculation of De Broglie Wavelength

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the De Broglie Wavelength for a 10 MeV proton and a 1 MeV electron. The question arises whether to use relativistic or classical means, which depends on the ratio of kinetic energy to rest energy. The conversation also mentions the relativistic relationship between energy, momentum, and rest energy for a particle, and provides a formula for calculating the De Broglie wavelength. It is advised to convert all values into SI units before performing the calculation.
EIRE2003
Relativistic or Classical?? Calculation of De Broglie Wavelength

Hi there,

Okay, the question is: Calculate the De Broglie Wavelength of a 10 MeV proton and a 1 MeV electron.

How does one know whether to use relativistic or classical means?

Relativistic => Kinetic / Rest mass >/ = 10%

For proton: 10^7 eV / 938 x 10^6 eV = 0.0106

For electron 10^6 eV / 0.511 x 10^6 eV = 1.957

Are these relativistic energies? And if so, which equation would be required?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
When that ratio of KE to rest energy is small, then a classical treatment is fine. That's not the case for the electron example. But if you're not sure, do it both ways and compare.

What's the relativistic relationship between energy, momentum, and rest energy for a particle?

My answer I keep on obtaining for the De Broglie wavelength seems to be ridiculous. 3.2x10^-46

I am using p = sqrt [(Kinetic energy)^2 + (2(rest mass)(kinetic energy))]

and lambda = h / p

rest mass of electron 0.511 MeV (0.511 x 10^6 eV)

EIRE2003 said:
I am using p = sqrt [(Kinetic energy)^2 + (2(rest mass)(kinetic energy))]
That doesn't look right to me.

Doc Al said:
That doesn't look right to me.

It looks just fine to me altough.

[tex] p = \sqrt{E_k^2+2E_km_0} [/tex]

This is in natural units, i.e [itex] c = \hbar = 1 [/tex]

So you must make sure you have the correct units everywhere, i.e you might want to convert all masses and energies into SI units (Joule, kg etc) before you start to calculate.

D'oh! That's why it looked funny--I rarely use natural units.

In SI-friendly form it will look like this:

[tex] p = \frac{\sqrt{E_k^2+2E_km_0c^2}}{c} [/tex]

(I would find p in units of MeV/c and then convert to SI.)

Related to Relativistic or Classical? Calculation of De Broglie Wavelength

1. What is the difference between Relativistic and Classical calculation of De Broglie wavelength?

The main difference between Relativistic and Classical calculation of De Broglie wavelength is that Relativistic calculation takes into account the effects of special relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction, while Classical calculation does not. This results in a slightly different value for the De Broglie wavelength in Relativistic calculations.

2. Which method should be used for calculating De Broglie wavelength in most scenarios?

In most scenarios, Classical calculation of De Broglie wavelength is sufficient and accurate enough to use. Relativistic calculation should only be used when dealing with particles traveling at very high speeds, close to the speed of light.

3. How is De Broglie wavelength related to the momentum of a particle?

De Broglie wavelength is inversely proportional to the momentum of a particle. This means that as the momentum of a particle increases, its De Broglie wavelength decreases.

4. Can De Broglie wavelength be calculated for objects other than particles?

Yes, De Broglie wavelength can also be calculated for macroscopic objects, such as molecules or even larger structures like footballs. However, the value of De Broglie wavelength for these objects is extremely small and difficult to measure.

5. How does the uncertainty principle relate to De Broglie wavelength?

The uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle simultaneously. De Broglie wavelength is a manifestation of this principle, as it represents the uncertainty in the position of a particle due to its wave-like nature.