Relativity question - effects between moving and stationary particles?

In summary: So far, no theory of quantum gravity has been able to produce a consistent description of the behavior of particles at very small distances. So it's not clear that we'll ever be able to say anything about what happens to particles at very small distances in terms of relativity.
xxYOUKNOWMExx
hey guys,
im not really a physicist (so sorry if this sounds dumb I guess) but I came on here to ask a question i was meditating on while i was out on a walk --

I have a basic understanding of special relativity (like I said I'm not a physicist though and I haven't really taken any classes in it). From what I understand according to the space time continuum when particles travel through space varying on the it detracts from the time axis on the continuum causing said particles to travel at different rates through time detracting from the overall total which is equal to the speed of light. (feel free to correct me if I am wrong I won't be offended) --

my question is - what effect does this have on nearby particles? Do the stationary particles remain unaffected by the moving particles or can the effect be propelled outward by forces such as gravity to create some sort of a space time bubble that affects everything within it?

any thoughts on the subject are greatly appreciated - I hope this doesn't sound to silly :shy:
-Andrew

Physics news on Phys.org

Hii Andrew

when any moving particle(having enough mass to change the shape of space time curve) travels then it also affect particles(having enough mass to change the shape of space time curve) nearby it.if the particles not having enough mass to change the shape of space time curve then nothing happened.
You can easily understand it by following example-
take a plastic thin sheet and bound its all 4 corner in horizontal plan so that assume it as space time curve.put a heavy ball at its centre.take an another ball heavier than first and through it smoothly on sheet nearby first ball.u will see that first ball get attracted to second ball...:wink:

Moderator's note: thread moved to Special & General Relativity from General Physics.

xxYOUKNOWMExx said:
From what I understand according to the space time continuum when particles travel through space varying on the it detracts from the time axis on the continuum causing said particles to travel at different rates through time detracting from the overall total which is equal to the speed of light.

This is one way of looking at it, but it's not the best one, IMO. Some things to keep in mind: motion is relative, so a particle that is moving through space according to one observer could be at rest, not moving at all, according to another observer. "Traveling at different rates through time" is also relative. So you have to be careful drawing inferences from statements like the ones you've made; they're not wrong, but they don't necessarily lead to good further inferences.

xxYOUKNOWMExx said:
my question is - what effect does this have on nearby particles?

Relativity by itself can't answer this; you have to know what kind of particles you're dealing with, and you need a theory of how those particles interact. Any such theory has to be consistent with relativity, but it's still an additional theory.

Hi Andrew,

First of all, it's great that you are curious about relativity and are seeking to understand it better. Your question is not silly at all, and it's actually a very interesting one.

To answer your question, the effects of relativity between moving and stationary particles are quite complex and can vary depending on the specific situation. In general, the idea of time dilation and length contraction in special relativity means that the time and space measurements of moving particles will appear different to an observer compared to those of stationary particles.

For example, if you have two particles moving at different speeds, the faster moving particle will experience time passing slower than the slower moving particle. This also means that if you were to compare the two particles' clocks, the faster moving particle's clock would appear to be ticking slower than the slower moving particle's clock.

In terms of the effect on nearby particles, it's important to remember that all particles are constantly moving and in motion relative to each other. This means that there will always be some level of time dilation and length contraction between them. However, the effects may not be noticeable unless the particles are moving at very high speeds, close to the speed of light.

As for the idea of a "space-time bubble" created by the effects of relativity, this is not quite accurate. The effects of relativity are not localized to a specific area, but rather affect the entire space-time continuum.

I hope this helps to answer your question. Keep exploring and asking questions about relativity, it's a fascinating subject!

What is relativity and how does it affect the behavior of particles?

Relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein that explains how the laws of physics are the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. This means that the behavior of particles can appear different depending on the observer's perspective, but the underlying laws governing their behavior remain the same.

What is the difference between a moving particle and a stationary particle in terms of relativity?

In terms of relativity, there is no fundamental difference between a moving particle and a stationary particle. This is because motion is relative and can only be described in relation to another object. The behavior of a particle may appear different to an observer in motion, but it is still governed by the same laws of physics.

How does time dilation affect the behavior of particles in motion?

According to relativity, time is not absolute and can be affected by an object's motion. This means that particles in motion will experience time differently compared to stationary particles. This effect, known as time dilation, can cause particles to appear to be moving slower or faster depending on the observer's frame of reference.

What is the concept of length contraction and how does it relate to relativity?

Length contraction is the idea that an object's length appears shorter when it is moving at high speeds. This is a consequence of relativity, as the faster an object moves, the more it contracts in the direction of its motion. This effect is only noticeable at very high speeds, such as those nearing the speed of light.

Can relativity explain the behavior of all particles, including those at the subatomic level?

Yes, relativity can explain the behavior of all particles, including those at the subatomic level. However, at these small scales, the effects of relativity are usually negligible and can be better explained by quantum mechanics. Relativity and quantum mechanics are both necessary to fully understand the behavior of particles at all scales.