Relativity Question Regarding Muons in movement

In summary: I went back and looked over it all, they didn't do it for one example but all others so it threw me for a loop , I changed my answer thank you very much both of you for pointing that out!
HarleyM

Homework Statement

A muon has a lifetime of 2.2x10^-6 s when at rest, after which time it decays into other particles.

a)ignore any effects of relativity discussed in this lesson, if the muon was moving at 0.99c how far would it travel before decaying into other particles, according to Newtonian mechanics? *this line confuses me, I hope i obeyed them in my answer.. if anyone can let me know that would be great!

b) how long would the muon last according to an observer in the Earth's frame of reference who viewed the muon moving at 0.99c?

c) How far would the muon actually travel, when viewed moving at 0.99c?

d) Compare the distances travelled. Explain why this type of evidence is excellent support for the theory of relativity.

Homework Equations

Δtm = Δts/√(1-v2/c2)

The Attempt at a Solution

a) 0.99(3x10^8) = 2.97x10^8

2.97x10^8 m/s * 2.2x10-6 s = 653.4 m (not sure whether this is according to Newtonian mechanics?)

b) Δtm = Δts/√(1-v2/c2)
Δtm = 2.2x10-6/√(1-(0.99c)2/c2)
Δtm = 2.2x10-6/√(1-0.99)
Δtm = 2.2x10-5

c) 2.97x108 m/s * 2.2x10-5s
= 6534 m

D) this is excellent supportive evidence for the theory of relativity because it displays as matter approaches the speed of light significant time dilation occurs and the muon lasts much longer than it would with Earth as its reference frame.Does everything look logical ?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
But if this is to be according to Newtonian mechanics, there is no time dilation, and equation 2 is not correct.

Well I think your method is fine but your half life is off. You forgot to square the 0.99!

alexg said:
But if this is to be according to Newtonian mechanics, there is no time dilation, and equation 2 is not correct.

only the first question is according to Newtonian mechanics.. by second equation do you mean the Δtm?

all other questions use relativity unless otherwise stated I believe!

bm0p700f said:
Well I think your method is fine but your half life is off. You forgot to square the 0.99!

in the Δtm equation you mean? The C2 cancels out so I am left with 1-0.99

at least I think..

thanks for the input

HarleyM said:
in the Δtm equation you mean? The C2 cancels out so I am left with 1-0.99

at least I think..

thanks for the input

it would be 0.992 = 0.98

cupid.callin said:
it would be 0.992 = 0.98

Thats not the method the book shows, they show both c2 cancelling out so I am going with that method, simply because if they say its wrong I'll show them the book and say the book is also wrong

HarleyM said:
Thats not the method the book shows, they show both c2 cancelling out so I am going with that method, simply because if they say its wrong I'll show them the book and say the book is also wrong

the author might have missed is.
[itex]\Large{\frac{v^2}{c^2}}[/itex] and if v=.99c [itex]\Large{\frac{(0.99c)^2}{c^2} = \frac{0.99^2 c^2}{c^2}}[/itex] [itex] = 0.99^2 [/itex]

cupid.callin said:
the author might have missed is.
[itex]\Large{\frac{v^2}{c^2}}[/itex] and if v=.99c [itex]\Large{\frac{(0.99c)^2}{c^2} = \frac{0.99^2 c^2}{c^2}}[/itex] [itex] = 0.99^2 [/itex]

I went back and looked over it all, they didn't do it for one example but all others so it threw me for a loop , I changed my answer thank you very much both of you for pointing that out!

Related to Relativity Question Regarding Muons in movement

1. What is the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity, proposed by Albert Einstein, is a fundamental theory in physics that explains the relationship between space and time. It consists of two parts: special relativity and general relativity.

2. How does special relativity explain the movement of muons?

Special relativity states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion. This means that the movement of muons, which travel at high speeds near the speed of light, can be explained by the theory of relativity.

3. Why do muons appear to travel slower than the speed of light in our perspective?

According to special relativity, an observer in motion will perceive time to be moving slower for objects moving at high speeds. This is known as time dilation, and it explains why muons appear to be moving slower than the speed of light from our perspective.

4. How do we know that muons actually travel at the speed of light?

Through experiments, scientists have observed that muons have a longer lifespan than expected when moving at high speeds near the speed of light. This is because of time dilation, which allows them to travel farther distances before decaying, giving the illusion that they are traveling at the speed of light.

5. Can general relativity also explain the movement of muons?

Yes, general relativity can also explain the movement of muons. It is the more comprehensive theory of relativity, which includes the effects of gravity on space and time. General relativity explains the bending of space and time by massive objects, which can also affect the movement of muons.