Relativity Theory: General & Special Contexts

In summary: Gravitation can be made compatible with quantum mechanics by introducing gravitons, but you can also discuss gravity in the context of classical field theory.In summary, the conversation discusses the classification of relativity in the fields of quantum mechanics and classical mechanics. The experts clarify that relativity is its own field, separate from both classical mechanics and quantum mechanics. They also explain that while relativity is a classical theory, it is not the same as classical mechanics and is better described as relativistic mechanics. The conversation also touches on the relationship between relativity and gravity, and how it can be studied in both classical and quantum contexts.
MoradLemans
I want to know in which context should i take relativity with both general and special .

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry, I don't understand your question, and I suspect nobody else will, either. Can you explain it further?

jtbell said:
I'm sorry, I don't understand your question, and I suspect nobody else will, either. Can you explain it further?
I certainly don't.

What do you mean by "context"?

Is it classified in Quantum Mechanics or Classical Mechanics ?

MoradLemans said:

Why does this matter so much?

BTW, it is not Quantum Mechanics.

Zz.

Relativity is its own field. It is neither classical mechanics nor quantum mechanics.

mfb said:
Relativity is its own field. It is neither classical mechanics nor quantum mechanics.
Why relativity is an independant field ?

Because it is neither classical mechanics nor quantum mechanics...

Hm. This post seems to have been edited such that it appears to be a response to mfg, which is was not. I'm going to delete the content to avoid confusion.

Last edited:
mfb said:

MoradLemans said:

i think you wish to know whether 'quantum' ideas can be incorporated in relativity whether its STR or GTR- i think till the quantization of 'graviton'
or discovery of a particle which can mediate /connect the action of 'gravity field' or say 'quantization of gravitation' does not come up -it can not be said to be a part of quantum physics.
so its a classical theory encompassing the four dimensional space-time.-where time has been given a special status of coordinates and forces are derived from the curvature of space-time fabric.

drvrm said:
so its a classical theory ...
but you need to be clear that you are not telling him that it is classical mechanics.

MoradLemans said:

How are you defining "Classical Mechanics"? Some people define it as "everything that isn't Quantum Mechanics", in which case SR and GR would both be "Classical". But that's not a very informative definition.

The more common definition, which is the one the other posters are using, defines "Classical Mechanics" to mean Newtonian mechanics: Newton's three laws of motion and his law of gravity. SR and GR are not "Classical Mechanics" by this definition; they are "Relativistic Mechanics", which is a separate field of its own.

Likes MoradLemans and mfb
phinds said:
but you need to be clear that you are not telling him that it is classical mechanics.

well sorry -i should have said that
its a classical theory but not 'classical mechanics' as its a development based on space-time description of events so its treated outside mechanics- but relativistic dynamics is 'classical'..

Likes MoradLemans
drvrm said:
well sorry -i should have said that
its a classical theory but not 'classical mechanics' as its a development based on space-time description of events so its treated outside mechanics- but relativistic dynamics is 'classical'..
Thank you very much !

mfb said:
This I don't understand either. Relativity is an unfortunate name for "space-time model". So it's comprehensive for all of physics, classical and quantum. The special theory is an approximation to the general in neglecting gravity.

Related to Relativity Theory: General & Special Contexts

1. What is the difference between special and general relativity?

Special relativity is a theory that deals with the laws of nature in the absence of gravity, while general relativity takes into account the effects of gravity. Special relativity applies to objects moving at constant speeds, while general relativity applies to objects in any state of motion.

2. How did Einstein come up with the theory of relativity?

Einstein developed the theory of relativity through a series of thought experiments and mathematical equations. He was inspired by the work of previous scientists, including Isaac Newton and James Clerk Maxwell, but ultimately came up with his own revolutionary ideas about the nature of space, time, and gravity.

3. What is the significance of the speed of light in relativity theory?

The speed of light, denoted by the symbol c, is considered to be a fundamental constant in relativity theory. It is the maximum speed at which any form of energy or information can travel in the universe. This speed is also the same for all observers, regardless of their own state of motion.

4. Can you explain the concept of time dilation in relativity?

Time dilation is a phenomenon predicted by the theory of relativity, which states that time passes at different rates for objects that are moving at different speeds. This means that time can appear to move slower or faster depending on the observer's frame of reference. This has been confirmed by numerous experiments and has important implications for our understanding of the universe.

5. How has relativity theory been confirmed by scientific experiments?

Relativity theory has been confirmed by a variety of experiments, including the famous Michelson-Morley experiment, which showed that the speed of light is constant and independent of the observer's motion. Other experiments, such as the observation of gravitational lensing and the precise measurement of the orbit of Mercury, have also provided evidence for the validity of relativity theory.