Reliability of a system (with simple "complex" configuration)

In summary: But it is a good exercise to do it once. You can check your final answer by putting in ##r=0.9##.In summary, the question is asking for the reliability of a system consisting of 7 equal and reliable components with a configuration that is complex and difficult to solve using traditional methods. The attempt at a solution involves using a solution used for bridge structures and considering the probability of each component functioning in different paths. The final answer can be obtained using the general inclusion-exclusion principle, but it is a bit cumbersome and it is recommended to use symbolic constants instead of specific values for easier calculation.
kalizazzz623

Homework Statement

Question: A system consists of 7 equal reliable components having the following configuration with each component has a reliability of 0.9. Find the reliability of the system.
a.jpg

Homework Equations

I was taught (and only been taught) with the calculations to obtain reliability of a system with its components arranged in either in series or in parallel. However, I have real trouble in solving these kinds of complex configuration.
For series: Rs = R1R2...Rn
For parallel: Rs = 1-(1-R1)(1-R2)...(1-Rn)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have search through the internet and realized that this can be solved with the solution used for bridge structure. I tried to mimic the way the solution from the resource (Reliability Engineering: Theory and Practice, by Alessandro Birolini) found (but with only 5 component instead of 7) and come to this:
b.jpg

c.jpg

The first picture showing the reliability of the system with the center component not fail, and the second picture is when the center component has fail. (component number order: 1 to 6, from top left, clockwise; center = 7)
Then, Rs=R7(R1+R6-R1R6)(R2+R5-R2R5)(R3+R4-R3R4) + (1-R7)(R1R2R3+R4R5R6-R1R2R3R4R5R6)
This solution doesn't lead to the answer (0.9575). I tried using Binomial method by considering all sort of possibility but still no help (duh, obviously:frown:), so can anyone enlighten me?

Physics news on Phys.org
kalizazzz623 said:

Homework Statement

Question: A system consists of 7 equal reliable components having the following configuration with each component has a reliability of 0.9. Find the reliability of the system.
View attachment 72912

Homework Equations

I was taught (and only been taught) with the calculations to obtain reliability of a system with its components arranged in either in series or in parallel. However, I have real trouble in solving these kinds of complex configuration.
For series: Rs = R1R2...Rn
For parallel: Rs = 1-(1-R1)(1-R2)...(1-Rn)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have search through the internet and realized that this can be solved with the solution used for bridge structure. I tried to mimic the way the solution from the resource (Reliability Engineering: Theory and Practice, by Alessandro Birolini) found (but with only 5 component instead of 7) and come to this:
View attachment 72913
View attachment 72914
The first picture showing the reliability of the system with the center component not fail, and the second picture is when the center component has fail. (component number order: 1 to 6, from top left, clockwise; center = 7)
Then, Rs=R7(R1+R6-R1R6)(R2+R5-R2R5)(R3+R4-R3R4) + (1-R7)(R1R2R3+R4R5R6-R1R2R3R4R5R6)
This solution doesn't lead to the answer (0.9575). I tried using Binomial method by considering all sort of possibility but still no help (duh, obviously:frown:), so can anyone enlighten me?

Label the components as
[tex] \begin{array}{ccc} A & B & C \\
&G& \\
D & E & F
\end{array} [/tex]
Imagine we want to send a signal from left to right; the component reliability is the probability that a signal gets through that component. So, to send a signal from left to right, at least one path from left to right must be "open". There are four paths: P_1 =in-ABC-out, P_2 = in-DEF_out, P_3 =in_ABGEF-out and P_4 = in-DEGBC-out. If we let ##E_i## be the event that path ##P_i## is open, can you figure out ##\Pr(E_i)## for each ##i##? For ##i \neq j##, can you see how to get ##\Pr(E_i \cap E_j)##, etc? You need to find
[tex] \text{system reliability} = \Pr \{ \text{at least one of the events }E_1, E_2, E_3, E_4 \text{ occur} \}[/tex]

Last edited:
Ray Vickson said:
Label the components as
[tex] \begin{array}{ccc} A & B & C \\
&G& \\
D & E & F
\end{array} [/tex]
Imagine we want to send a signal from left to right; the component reliability is the probability that a signal gets through that component. So, to send a signal from left to right, at least one path from left to right must be "open". There are four paths: P_1 =in-ABC-out, P_2 = in-DEF_out, P_3 =in_ABGEF-out and P_4 = in-DEGBC-out. If we let ##E_i## be the event that path ##P_i## is open, can you figure out ##\Pr(E_i)## for each ##i##? For ##i \neq j##, can you see how to get ##\Pr(E_i \cap E_j)##, etc? You need to find
[tex] \text{system reliability} = \Pr \{ \text{at least one of the events }E_1, E_2, E_3, E_4 \text{ occur} \}[/tex]

P(E1)=0.9x0.9x0.9 =0.729
P(E2)=0.9x0.9x0.9 =0.729
P(E3)=0.9x0.9x0.9x0.9x0.9 =0.59049
P(E4)=0.9x0.9x0.9x0.9x0.9 =0.59049

For ##\Pr(E_i \cap E_j)##, thus this means I have to do for ##\Pr(E_1 \cap E_2)##, ##\Pr(E_1 \cap E_3)##, ##\Pr(E_1 \cap E_4)## and the remaining? And by the equation ##\Pr(E_i \cap E_j)##, should I use ##\Pr(E_i \cup E_j)##x##\Pr(E_j)##?

And for the final system reliability, is ##Pr \{ \text{at least one of the events }E_1, E_2, E_3, E_4 \text{ occur} \} = \Pr(E_1 \cup E_2 \cup E_3 \cup E_4)##?

kalizazzz623 said:
P(E1)=0.9x0.9x0.9 =0.729
P(E2)=0.9x0.9x0.9 =0.729

For ##\Pr(E_i \cap E_j)##, thus this means I have to do for ##\Pr(E_1 \cap E_2)##, ##\Pr(E_1 \cap E_3)##, ##\Pr(E_1 \cap E_4)## and the remaining? And by the equation ##\Pr(E_i \cap E_j)##, should I use ##\Pr(E_i \cup E_j)##x##\Pr(E_j)##?

And for the final system reliability, is ##Pr \{ \text{at least one of the events }E_1, E_2, E_3, E_4 \text{ occur} \} = \Pr(E_1 \cup E_2 \cup E_3 \cup E_4)##?

I strongly recommend that you use a symbol ##r## instead of an explicit 0.9, at least until the very last. This is because by using a symbolic constant you can keep separate and keep straight the different effects. So ##\Pr(E_1) = \Pr(E_2) = r^3##, ##\Pr(E_3) = \Pr(E_4) = r^5##, etc.

The general inclusion-exclusion says that
[tex]
\text{answer} = R = \Pr \{ E_1 \cup E_2 \cup E_3 \cup E_4 \} = S_1 - S_2 + S_3 - S_4, \\
\text{where}\\
S_1 = \sum_i \Pr(E_i)\\
S_2 = \sum_{i < j} \Pr(E_i E_j) \\
S_3 = \sum_{i < j < k} \Pr(E_i E_j E_k)\\
S_4 = P(E_1 E_2 E_3 E_4)
[/tex]
Here I have used the simpler notation ##AB## or ##ABC## instead of ##A \cap B## or ##A \cap B \cap C##, etc.

For ##E_1 E_2## all components except G must work; for ##E_1 E_3## all components except D must work. Look at all the other ##E_i E_j, i < j,## in the same way, and do the same for ##E_i E_j E_k, i < j < k## as well as for ##E_1 E_2 E_3 E_4##. In this way you can obtain ##S_1, S_2, S_3, S_4## in terms of ##r##. And yes, it is a bit messy and lengthy, but welcome to the world of reliability computation.

kalizazzz623 said:
P(E1)=0.9x0.9x0.9 =0.729
P(E2)=0.9x0.9x0.9 =0.729

I strongly recommend that you use a symbol ##r## instead of an explicit 0.9, at least until the very last. This is because by using a symbolic constant you can keep separate and keep straight the different effects. (Besides which, this allows you to vary ##r## and see how the answer changes, because rarely would you know an exact value of ##r## accurate to infinitely many decimal places.)

So ##\Pr(E_1) = \Pr(E_2) = r^3##, ##\Pr(E_3) = \Pr(E_4) = r^5##, etc.

[tex]
\text{answer} = R = \Pr \{ E_1 \cup E_2 \cup E_3 \cup E_4 \} = S_1 - S_2 + S_3 - S_4, \\
\text{where}\\
S_1 = \sum_i \Pr(E_i)\\
S_4 = P(E_1 E_2 E_3 E_4)
[/tex]
Here I have used the simpler notation ##AB## or ##ABC## instead of ##A \cap B## or ##A \cap B \cap C##, etc.

For ##E_1 E_2## all components except G must work; for ##E_1 E_3## all components except D must work. Look at all the other ##E_i E_j, i < j,## in the same way, and do the same for ##E_i E_j E_k, i < j < k## as well as for ##E_1 E_2 E_3 E_4##. In this way you can obtain ##S_1, S_2, S_3, S_4## in terms of ##r##. And yes, it is a bit messy and lengthy, but welcome to the world of reliability computation.

Ray Vickson said:
I strongly recommend that you use a symbol ##r## instead of an explicit 0.9, at least until the very last. This is because by using a symbolic constant you can keep separate and keep straight the different effects. (Besides which, this allows you to vary ##r## and see how the answer changes, because rarely would you know an exact value of ##r## accurate to infinitely many decimal places.)

So ##\Pr(E_1) = \Pr(E_2) = r^3##, ##\Pr(E_3) = \Pr(E_4) = r^5##, etc.

[tex]
\text{where}\\
S_1 = \sum_i \Pr(E_i)\\
S_4 = P(E_1 E_2 E_3 E_4)
[/tex]

Sorry for being bad at elementary probability, but does ##E_1 E_2## equals to ##r^6##? And for ##E_1 E_2 E_3##, is it equals to ##r^7##? Thanks in advance.

kalizazzz623 said:
Sorry for being bad at elementary probability, but does ##E_1 E_2## equals to ##r^6##? And for ##E_1 E_2 E_3##, is it equals to ##r^7##? Thanks in advance.

You tell me.

Ray Vickson said:
You tell me.

Well I'm not really sure if I'm doing it wrong or correctly, cause it doesn't yield the answer.
My solution:
[tex]
S_1 = \sum_i \Pr(E_i) \ = 2r^3+2r^5\\
S_2 = \sum_{i < j} \Pr(E_i E_j) \ = 5r^6+r^7\\
S_3 = \sum_{i < j < k} \Pr(E_i E_j E_k)\ =4r^7\\
S_4 = P(E_1 E_2 E_3 E_4) =r^7\\
[/tex]
then
[tex]
Pr \{ E_1 \cup E_2 \cup E_3 \cup E_4 \} = 2r^3+2r^5+2r^7-5r^6 = 0.9383 (≠0.9575)
[/tex]
It seems some how my approach is wrong, but I can't think of other ways.

kalizazzz623 said:
Well I'm not really sure if I'm doing it wrong or correctly, cause it doesn't yield the answer.
My solution:
[tex]
S_1 = \sum_i \Pr(E_i) \ = 2r^3+2r^5\\
S_2 = \sum_{i < j} \Pr(E_i E_j) \ = 5r^6+r^7\\
S_3 = \sum_{i < j < k} \Pr(E_i E_j E_k)\ =4r^7\\
S_4 = P(E_1 E_2 E_3 E_4) =r^7\\
[/tex]
then
[tex]
Pr \{ E_1 \cup E_2 \cup E_3 \cup E_4 \} = 2r^3+2r^5+2r^7-5r^6 = 0.9383 (≠0.9575)
[/tex]
It seems some how my approach is wrong, but I can't think of other ways.

Your answer is correct (although I would round it off to 0.9384). The 0.9575 figure is wrong. In fact, using your (correct) expression for ##R(r)## you can solve the equation ##R(r) = 0.9575## numerically, to get ##r = 0.91797978##.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person

Related to Reliability of a system (with simple "complex" configuration)

1. What is the definition of reliability in a system?

Reliability in a system refers to its ability to consistently perform its intended function without failure over a certain period of time under specific operating conditions.

2. How is reliability measured in a system?

Reliability is commonly measured using a metric called Mean Time Between Failures (MTBF), which calculates the average time between system failures. This metric is typically expressed in hours.

3. What factors can affect the reliability of a system?

There are several factors that can affect the reliability of a system, including the quality of its components, the design and construction of the system, the environment it operates in, and the maintenance and upkeep of the system.

4. Can the reliability of a system be improved?

Yes, the reliability of a system can be improved through various methods such as using higher quality components, implementing redundant systems, regularly maintaining and testing the system, and continuously monitoring and analyzing the system's performance.

5. How can the reliability of a system be tested?

The reliability of a system can be tested through various methods such as conducting stress tests, running simulations, and performing failure analysis. Additionally, real-world testing can be done by using the system in a controlled environment and monitoring its performance over time.