Equivalent Resistance: Series or Parallel Triangles?

In summary, this student is stumped by how to reduce a circuit consisting of two resistors into a single-resistor equivalent. There are several possible methods to solve the problem, but they both require some knowledge of voltage and current laws.
sparkleshine

Homework Statement

1jlfr.jpg

Okay. I thought I knew how to do these type of questions, but here goes. The node at a is attached to the positive terminal of a voltage source and c is attached to the negative. I'm completely bemused as to how to reduce this circuit into a single-resistor equivalent.

I thought that resistors ab and ae could be reduced into a series resistor, but my study partner says they are in parallel because the current does not go through them one after another but divides at a. However, they can't be reduced to parallel resistors because of the set-up of the junctions (or can they?) I'm actually stumped by how to approach this problem.

Homework Equations

1/RP=1/R1+1/R2...

RS=R1+R2...

R|| = R1R2/R1+R2

The Attempt at a Solution

The circuit has already been reduced from a more complex one and I've tried searching through the questions posted in homework for inspiration. Any help would be much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
sparkleshine said:

Homework Statement

1jlfr.jpg

Okay. I thought I knew how to do these type of questions, but here goes. The node at a is attached to the positive terminal of a voltage source and c is attached to the negative. I'm completely bemused as to how to reduce this circuit into a single-resistor equivalent.

I thought that resistors ab and ae could be reduced into a series resistor, but my study partner says they are in parallel because the current does not go through them one after another but divides at a. However, they can't be reduced to parallel resistors because of the set-up of the junctions (or can they?) I'm actually stumped by how to approach this problem.

Homework Equations

1/RP=1/R1+1/R2...

RS=R1+R2...

R|| = R1R2/R1+R2

The Attempt at a Solution

The circuit has already been reduced from a more complex one and I've tried searching through the questions posted in homework for inspiration. Any help would be much appreciated!

Hi sparkleshine, Welcome to Physics Forums.

This is one of those cases where there are no resistors that are in parallel or in series, so progress is blocked if you stick to the those two methods.

Fortunately there are several possible ways to proceed. One way would be to assume some voltage V between terminals a and c as you suggest and then write and solve the KVL loop equations to find the current I that the source drives through the network. Then Req = V/I.

A second way forward is to employ what is called a Delta-Y transformation on one of the groups of resistors that's laid out in the form of a Delta (Δ). So, look up Delta-Y and Y-Delta transformations.

Thank you very much! :)

1. What is equivalent resistance?

Equivalent resistance is the overall resistance of a circuit when multiple resistors are connected in a series or parallel configuration.

2. What is the formula for calculating equivalent resistance in a series triangle?

The formula for calculating equivalent resistance in a series triangle is simply the sum of all the resistances in the circuit.

3. How do you calculate equivalent resistance in a parallel triangle?

The formula for calculating equivalent resistance in a parallel triangle is 1/R = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ..., where R is the equivalent resistance and R1, R2, R3, etc. are the individual resistances in the circuit.

4. Is equivalent resistance the same in a series and parallel triangle?

No, equivalent resistance is not the same in a series and parallel triangle. In a series triangle, the equivalent resistance is always greater than the individual resistances, while in a parallel triangle, the equivalent resistance is always less than the individual resistances.

5. Why is it important to know the equivalent resistance of a circuit?

Knowing the equivalent resistance of a circuit is important because it helps us understand the overall behavior and characteristics of the circuit. It also allows us to calculate the total current and voltage in the circuit, which is crucial in designing and troubleshooting electrical circuits.