Remaining in the same spot on a spinning disk

In summary, the problem is to figure out what acceleration is needed relative to a rotating disk to remain in the same spot(meaning to not rotate with the disk). The Attempt at a Solution thinks that since the Person remaining stationary would be rotating in the opposite direction from the viewpoint of a rotating system the acceleration needed would be w^r2 pointing radially inwards. Relative to the non-spinning surroundings, what would be the person's acceleration? When the Person is stationary the net acceleration has to be zero. Relative to all inertial frames of reference, acceleration is invariant.
I am still bothered by this questions notion of acceleration, it just doesn't make any sense to me to be talking about acceleration without a clear frame of reference as to where this acceleration is taking place...

Physics news on Phys.org
Fibo112 said:
I am still bothered by this questions notion of acceleration, it just doesn't make any sense to me to be talking about acceleration without a clear frame of reference as to where this acceleration is taking place...
The question states that the child is to stay in the same place in the laboratory frame. That is enough to determine the force the child must exert on the disc, and the disc's consequent acceleration.
The slightly awkward part is that it asks for "the child's acceleration relative to the disk." I now consider that ambiguous. I think what they want is relative to the tangential acceleration of the disc. But if it means relative to the reference frame of the rotating disc then you would have to add the apparent radial acceleration, ##-\omega^2\frac R2\hat r##.

Ok. Thanks a lot for your help.