Repairing MKS 1179A Mass Flow Controllers: A Scientist's Journey

In summary, the speaker is seeking help from someone familiar with MKS 1179A Mass Flow controllers. They have taken one apart and are trying to fix it, but are unsure where to find replacement parts. Specifically, they mention a small block on top of the main control block with a stainless steel capillary tube and electronic ribbon, and express frustration with the lack of available repair parts. They believe the company may be intentionally limiting the availability of these parts for profit. They are interested in learning more about how the controller works through this experience. They request assistance from anyone who has encountered a similar issue.
Chris Haskin
Would love to talk to anyonw that is familiar with MKS instruments 1179A Mass Flow controllers. I have taken apart a MKS mass flow controller and am trying to fix it but I am not sure where to get replacement parts, or even what some of the parts do.Most specifically is a small block on top of the main control block that has a very small diameter stainless stell capillary tube and an electronic ribbon with 3 wires in it. It is out of warranty so all I know is that it doesn't work and I would like it to. But this is really more of a learning experience than anything so that I can see how these controllers work. It mainly looks like the company would like to work on their own products and that there is not a lot of replacement parts available as far as I can see. Would appreciate any help from someone who has done this before.

I am having a hard time finding any repair parts for a MKS 1179A mass fow controller. I think that the company is trying to make money by not selling repair parts. Has anybody else had the same experience?

Related to Repairing MKS 1179A Mass Flow Controllers: A Scientist's Journey

1. What is a mass flow controller (MFC) and why is it important?

A mass flow controller (MFC) is a device used to control and measure the flow rate of a gas in a system. It is important because it ensures precise and accurate gas flow in various applications, such as chemical processing, semiconductor manufacturing, and environmental monitoring.

2. How do I know if my MFC needs to be repaired?

The most common signs of a malfunctioning MFC include inconsistent gas flow, erratic readings, and unusual noises. If you notice any of these issues, it is best to have your MFC inspected and repaired by a professional.

3. Can I repair my MFC myself?

It is not recommended to attempt to repair an MFC yourself, as it is a complex and delicate instrument. It requires specialized knowledge, tools, and equipment. It is best to seek the help of a trained technician or a reputable MFC repair service.

4. How long does MFC repair usually take?

The duration of MFC repair can vary depending on the extent of the damage and the availability of replacement parts. In general, it can take anywhere from a few days to a few weeks. It is best to consult with the repair service for a more accurate estimate.

5. Is it more cost-effective to repair or replace an MFC?

In most cases, it is more cost-effective to repair an MFC rather than replacing it. However, if the MFC is severely damaged or outdated, it may be more cost-effective to replace it with a new one. A professional repair service can provide an assessment and recommendation based on your specific situation.