(repost since typos) Volume of revolution using shell method

In summary, when using the shell method to find the volume of a solid generated by revolving about an axis, the shell width should be used instead of the height. Additionally, it is important to ensure that the axis of rotation is correct.
Call my name
(EDITED)
1. Use the shell method to find the volume of the solid generated by revolving about the y-axis. [tex]x=y^2, x=y+2[/tex]

2. same as #1, except change y and x for the two equations and revolve about x-axis.

I tried doing [tex]2pi\int_{x=0}^4(x)(\sqrt{x}-x+2)dx[/tex] but the answer is off for #1.

I tried doing [tex]2pi\int_{y=-1}^4(y)(\sqrt{y}-y+2)dy[/tex], well it's wrong.

Is there a problem with how I established the shell height?

the answer for these two questions are supposed to give me 72pi/5.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Call my name! :smile:

(have a pi: π and a square-root: √ and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
Call my name said:
(EDITED)
1. Use the shell method to find the volume of the solid generated by revolving about the y-axis. [tex]x=y^2, x=y+2[/tex]

Is there a problem with how I established the shell height?

Yeees … it's the shell width, isn't it? :wink:
2. same as #1, except change y and x for the two equations and revolve about x-axis.

Are you sure that's the question? If you swap everything, isn't the volume the same?:smile:

tiny-tim said:
Hi Call my name! :smile:

(have a pi: π and a square-root: √ and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

Yeees … it's the shell width, isn't it? :wink:

Are you sure that's the question? If you swap everything, isn't the volume the same?:smile:

Yeah, I meant that those two questions' answers are the same.

So is what I have established wrong?

Call my name said:
So is what I have established wrong?

You've used height instead of width

(or you've revolved around the wrong axis).

tiny-tim said:
You've used height instead of width

(or you've revolved around the wrong axis).

What do you mean? I'm a newbie so please specify and clarify

1. What is the shell method in calculus?

The shell method is a technique used in calculus to find the volume of a 3-dimensional solid by rotating a 2-dimensional shape around an axis. It involves integrating the surface area of cylindrical shells along the axis of rotation.

2. How is the shell method different from the disk method?

The disk method also involves finding the volume of a solid by rotating a 2-dimensional shape around an axis. However, it uses circular disks instead of cylindrical shells to approximate the solid, making it more suitable for certain shapes and functions.

3. When should the shell method be used over the disk method?

The shell method is typically used when the cross-section of the solid is a cylinder, and the axis of rotation is parallel to the axis of the cylinder. This is often the case for functions that are easier to integrate in terms of y rather than x.

4. What is the general formula for finding volume using the shell method?

The general formula for using the shell method to find volume is V = 2π∫(shell radius)(shell height)dx, where the integral is taken over the interval of rotation.

5. Can the shell method be applied to any solid?

No, the shell method can only be applied to solids that can be approximated by cylindrical shells. If the shape of the solid does not allow for this, then another method, such as the disk or washer method, must be used.