1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Request: Textbook in quantum mechanics

1. Sep 5, 2014 #1
    Hello everyone, I'm a beginner in quantum mechanics and I've been curious to know the textbook of that problem

310070378.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2014 #2

ShayanJ

Gold Member

I think a good plan, is starting with Feynman's Lectures on Physics, the third volume which is the one about QM. Then you can read Shankar's Principles of Quantum Mechanics. In case Shankar gets hard to understand, you can retreat to Gasiorowicz's Quantum Physics or Griffiths' Introduction to Quantum Mechanics. Then, in case you want to be really good at it, you can also study Sakurai's Modern Quantum Mechanics, but that's an option.

I should add that learning is not only about reading good books. You should try to do the thing yourself and when you have problem with something, go and read about it. In fact it should be a mixture of them. You read good books, then try to do it yourself and correct you mistakes by reading other books. So, from this point of view, I would suggest reading Shankar's with Gasiorowicz's and Griffiths' as backup, then in case you run into conceptual problems, you can read Feynman's and if you get into computational problems, you can read just any other book.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  4. Sep 6, 2014 #3
    Thanks Mr. Shyan, that have been useful but I have a set of problems such that in my post and hope to find their textbook in order to make sure of my attempts to answer

5. Sep 6, 2014 #4

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Take a phrase from the text that you showed, that does not include any math symbols. Try to choose one that is not likely to appear in too many other similar problems. Put quotation marks at the beginning and end, to keep the words together, and do a Google search on the resulting string:

"normalization constant that needs to be found, an eigenfunction"

Do you find anything?

6. Sep 6, 2014 #5
    Yeah, it is from Quantum Mechanics: Concepts and Applications by Nouredine Zettili. Thanks Mr. Jetbell

7. Sep 6, 2014 #6
    The Physics of Quantum Mechanics by James Binney, David Skinner is very good,and you can some of video lectures by the first author online.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted