1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Research and Nuclear Engineering Grad School?

1. Oct 5, 2013 #1

PBD

I posted a question a while back on medical physics and got great feedback so I'm back again in with another dilemma...

I spent the summer doing med physics research and I liked the radiation physics and computational aspects of it quite a bit. I'd like to apply for grad school in nuclear engineering but wonder if I'm well-qualified enough for a spot at a good school. I'm thinking of starting with a master's, maybe with an emphasis in computational engineering. I may go on to get a PhD but don't know if I can commit to that now. Do many people go into grad studies with their final level of education not entirely clear?

Here are my details
    -Engineering physics major, I have taken several nuclear engineering-oriented classes but there is no undergrad nuclear degree here
    -GPA 3.8
    -One competitive summer fellowship studying radiation physics. This was all programming, particle beam analysis etc. not clinical
    -Senior research project in applied nuclear physics
    -GRE Quant of 170, hopefully this helps show I have potential
    -I should get pretty good letters of recommendation from the two profs I have done research with

Will my lack of research experience be a significant problem? Can I get into a top school? I don't want to wear myself and my letter-writers out if not. I think the people over at grad cafe have me a little freaked with all their published papers, etc.

Also, does anybody have any opinions about a computational engineering Master's (not in any one field, just a general degree) I have seen those kinds of programs around, but they're kind of new I guess.

I would appreciate any advice, thanks

Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted