Research and Nuclear Engineering Grad School?

In summary, you have a strong academic background and relevant research experience that should make you a competitive candidate for grad school in nuclear engineering. It's also possible to enter grad school without a clear plan and many students do so successfully. Consider all your options, including a computational engineering Master's, before making a decision.
PBD
I posted a question a while back on medical physics and got great feedback so I'm back again in with another dilemma...

I spent the summer doing med physics research and I liked the radiation physics and computational aspects of it quite a bit. I'd like to apply for grad school in nuclear engineering but wonder if I'm well-qualified enough for a spot at a good school. I'm thinking of starting with a master's, maybe with an emphasis in computational engineering. I may go on to get a PhD but don't know if I can commit to that now. Do many people go into grad studies with their final level of education not entirely clear?

Here are my details
-Engineering physics major, I have taken several nuclear engineering-oriented classes but there is no undergrad nuclear degree here
-GPA 3.8
-One competitive summer fellowship studying radiation physics. This was all programming, particle beam analysis etc. not clinical
-Senior research project in applied nuclear physics
-GRE Quant of 170, hopefully this helps show I have potential
-I should get pretty good letters of recommendation from the two profs I have done research with

Will my lack of research experience be a significant problem? Can I get into a top school? I don't want to wear myself and my letter-writers out if not. I think the people over at grad cafe have me a little freaked with all their published papers, etc.

Also, does anybody have any opinions about a computational engineering Master's (not in anyone field, just a general degree) I have seen those kinds of programs around, but they're kind of new I guess.

I would appreciate any advice, thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
!Yes, it's definitely possible to enter grad school without a clear plan of what your final level of education will be. Many students apply with the intention of getting either a Master's or PhD, not necessarily knowing which they will end up doing by the end of their studies. Based on the information you've provided, you should have a good chance of getting into a top school for nuclear engineering. Your GPA is impressive, and your research experience is certainly applicable. The GRE score will also help demonstrate your abilities. The letters of recommendation from your professors will be key, so make sure you give them plenty of time to write strong letters for you.As for a computational engineering Master's, it's difficult to say without knowing more about the specific program you are looking at. It's certainly an interesting option that you can explore, but make sure you do your research and consider all your options before committing to any particular program.

Related to Research and Nuclear Engineering Grad School?

1. What is the difference between research and nuclear engineering grad school?

Research grad school focuses on developing skills and knowledge in conducting original research, while nuclear engineering grad school focuses on the application of principles and techniques to develop and maintain nuclear technology.

2. What types of research are typically conducted in nuclear engineering grad school?

Nuclear engineering grad school often involves research on topics such as nuclear reactor design, nuclear safety, radiation protection, fuel cycle analysis, and waste management.

3. What qualifications are needed to apply for nuclear engineering grad school?

Most nuclear engineering grad schools require a bachelor's degree in engineering or a related field, such as physics or chemistry. Strong academic performance, research experience, and letters of recommendation are also important factors in the application process.

4. How long does it take to complete a research or nuclear engineering grad program?

The length of a research or nuclear engineering grad program can vary, but typically takes 2-3 years for a master's degree and 4-6 years for a doctoral degree. Factors such as research progress, course load, and thesis/dissertation completion can affect the length of the program.

5. What career opportunities are available for graduates of research and nuclear engineering grad school?

Graduates of research and nuclear engineering grad school can pursue careers in fields such as nuclear power, national laboratories, government agencies, and research institutions. They may also work in industries related to nuclear technology, such as medical and nuclear security.