Resist adhesion to Borosilicate glass for BOE etching

In summary, the conversation is about a problem with etching Borosilicate glass using BOE (6:1). The photoresist near the channel is peeling off and the lateral distance of the peeled-off resist is about 6 microns. The person is looking for a solution to promote adhesion and currently uses spinned HMDS. Suggestions given include making sure the glass is clean and dry before applying the HMDS, trying a piranha clean and bake, and using a more dilute BOE (10:1). If these do not work, the person is unsure of what else to try.
Yinxiao Li
Hi all,
I have had a problem in etching Borosilicate glass using BOE (6:1). As etching continues in the channel, the photoresist near the channel gradually peels off and when etching finishes (100nm), the lateral distance of peeled-off resist is big--about 6 microns. Anybody have a great solution for promote the adhesion? Currently I use spinned HMDS to promote adhesion. The resist is Shipley 1813 and I hard bake it for 1hour at 115C before wet etching. Thanks!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
In my experience, what you are doing should work. Are you sure the glass is clean and dry before you apply the HMDS? I suggest a piranha clean followed by a bake above 100C before applying the HMDS. Another suggestion is to try a more dilute BOE (10:1). If these don't work then I am stumped.

1. How does resist adhesion to Borosilicate glass affect BOE etching?

Resist adhesion to Borosilicate glass is crucial for successful BOE (buffered oxide etch) etching. If the resist does not adhere properly to the glass, it can result in incomplete etching, leading to poor device performance and yield.

2. What factors affect resist adhesion to Borosilicate glass?

The main factors that affect resist adhesion to Borosilicate glass include surface cleanliness, surface roughness, and surface treatment. It is important to ensure that the glass surface is free of contaminants and has a smooth surface for optimal resist adhesion.

3. What are some methods for improving resist adhesion to Borosilicate glass?

One method is to use a surface treatment, such as oxygen plasma or UV ozone, to increase the surface energy of the glass and improve adhesion. Another method is to use an adhesion promoter, such as a silane coupling agent, to create a strong bond between the resist and the glass surface.

4. Can the type of resist used impact adhesion to Borosilicate glass?

Yes, the type of resist used can have a significant impact on adhesion to Borosilicate glass. Some resists have better adhesion properties than others, so it is important to choose a resist that is specifically designed for use with Borosilicate glass.

5. How can I test the adhesion of my resist to Borosilicate glass?

The most common method for testing resist adhesion to Borosilicate glass is the Scotch tape test. This involves placing a piece of Scotch tape on the resist and gently peeling it off. If the resist remains intact, then adhesion is good. Another method is the razor blade scratch test, where a razor blade is used to scratch the resist and the adhesion is evaluated based on the extent of scratching.