How to Calculate the Diameter of a Copper Wire Given Its Resistance and Mass?

• Thread starter J89
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resistance
In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the diameter of a uniform wire made of 1.00 g of copper with a resistance of 0.600 ohms. The volume and length of the wire are calculated using the density and resistivity of copper. The final calculation for the diameter is 2.68e-4, but the answer is marked incorrect. Further clarification or assistance is requested.
J89

Homework Statement

Suppose that you wish to fabricate a uniform wire out of 1.00 g of copper. Assume the wire has a resistance R = 0.600 , and all of the copper is used.

What will be the diameter of the wire?

Homework Equations

A = V/l
R = sqrt(A/pi)

The Attempt at a Solution

For the volume I have gotten 1.12e-7 ( (1*10e-3)/8.92e3)=8.92e3 is the density of copper and it's 1 g of copper. and for the length, I have gotten 1.988.

For the diameter..
I divided the volume/length to get the area = 1.12e-7/1.988 = 5.63e-8
Then I used the formula r = sqrt(A/pi) = sqrt(5.63e-8/pi) = 1.34e-4
so diameter = 2 *r = 1.34e-4*2 = 2.68e-4, but I keep getting it wrong! Can someone explain what I'm doing wrong??

Physics news on Phys.org
J89 said:
and for the length, I have gotten 1.988.
How did you get that?

The resistivity of copper is 1.7e-8. The resistance is .600 ohms. The volume of copper is 1.12e-7 (1 kg copper/density of copper) = 1e-3/8.92e3 = 1.12e-7. So..

I/A = R/P =

.600/(1.7e-8) = 3.53e7 m..then multiply it by the volume of copper = 3.53e7 * (1.12e-7) = 3.9525 and then take the sqrt of that to get the length = 1.988, which is correct according to the problem I'm doing.

Last edited:
That looks good, as does the rest of it. Could it be that you need more sig figs? How do you know you answer is wrong?

The length is right. I know my diameter is wrong because everytime I put it in the homework box, it keeps marking it wrong, and I think this is the correct way to do it..I did a similar problem to this one, and that was marked right..don't know, what I am doing wrong for the diameter..can someone help me?

What is resistance?

Resistance is the measure of how much a material or object hinders the flow of electric current. It is measured in ohms (Ω) and is dependent on the material's composition, size, and temperature.

How is resistance calculated?

Resistance is calculated by dividing the voltage (V) by the current (I), using the formula R = V/I. It can also be calculated using Ohm's law, which states that resistance is equal to the voltage divided by the current.

What factors affect resistance?

The factors that affect resistance include the material's composition, length, cross-sectional area, and temperature. Materials with higher resistance have a longer length, smaller cross-sectional area, and higher temperature.

What is fabrication?

Fabrication is the process of creating a product or structure through various manufacturing techniques, such as cutting, welding, and assembling. It involves transforming raw materials into a finished product.

What is the relationship between resistance and fabrication?

The relationship between resistance and fabrication is that the fabrication process can affect the material's properties and therefore its resistance. For example, welding can cause changes in the material's structure, leading to a change in its resistance. Additionally, the type of material used in fabrication can also impact its resistance.