Resistance and Resistivity problem

In summary, the necessary length of Nichrome wire with a radius of 8.6 x 10^-3 m to dissipate 575 W of power when connected to a voltage source of 120 V is approximately 0.108 m. The resistivity of the wire is 100 x 10^-8 ohm-m and the cross sectional area is 0.000232 m^2. The current was determined to be 4.792 Amperes.
Snowman2526

Homework Statement

A piece of Nichrome wire has a radius of 8.6 x 10^-3 m. It is used in a laboratory to make a heater that dissipates 575 W of power when connected to a voltage source of 120 V. Ignoring the effect of temperature on resistance, estimate the necessary length of wire.

Nichrome wire had resistivity of 100x10^-8

Homework Equations

p=resistivity
P=power
L=length of wire
A=cross sectional area of wire
I=Current
V=Voltage

R=pL/A
R=V/I
P=IV

The Attempt at a Solution

I first solved for current, since i'd need to plug resistance into the first equation to make L the only unknown. So P/V=I gives I=4.792 Amperes. Then I needed to take the radius of the wire and make it into cross sectional area, so A=(pi)r^2...A=.000232 m^2.

Now to solve the first equation for L...L=pV/IA.

L=(100x10^-8 ohm-m)(120 V)/(4.792 A)(.000232 m^2)

now, i know I'm getting the wrong answer of .1079 m. can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Snowman2526! :wink:

(have a rho: ρ :wink:)
Snowman2526 said:
Now to solve the first equation for L...L=pV/IA.

Noooo … ρ = (A/L)(V/I), so L = … ? :smile:

thank you sir :) problem solved

1. What is resistance and how is it measured?

Resistance is a measure of the opposition to the flow of electric current in a material. It is measured in ohms (Ω) and is calculated by dividing the voltage (V) by the current (I). This can be done using a multimeter or other electrical measuring device.

2. What factors affect resistance?

There are several factors that can affect resistance, including the type of material, the length and cross-sectional area of the material, and the temperature. Materials with higher resistivity, longer lengths, and smaller cross-sectional areas will have higher resistance. Temperature can also affect resistance, as most materials have higher resistance at higher temperatures.

3. How does resistivity differ from resistance?

Resistivity is a material property that measures how well a material resists the flow of electric current. It is dependent on the type of material and its temperature. Resistance, on the other hand, is a measurement of how much the material resists the flow of electric current in a specific circuit.

4. What is the relationship between resistivity and temperature?

In most materials, resistivity increases with temperature. This is because as the temperature increases, the atoms in the material vibrate more, creating more collisions and obstacles for the flow of electric current. However, there are some materials, such as semiconductors, that have a decreasing resistivity with increasing temperature.

5. How does the thickness of a material affect its resistance?

The thickness of a material does not directly affect its resistance. However, it does affect the cross-sectional area of the material, which does impact resistance. A thicker material will have a larger cross-sectional area, resulting in lower resistance, while a thinner material will have a smaller cross-sectional area and higher resistance.