1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Resistance of Wire HeLp

1. Feb 7, 2008 #1
    Resistance of Wire....HeLp!!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 122-cm-long wire is made by welding a 0.36-mm-diameter, 21-cm-long copper wire to a 0.47-mm-diameter, 101-cm-long iron wire. What is the resistance of the composite wire?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    How do I do this since it is made up of 2 different materials????

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2008 #2
    do I just find the resistance of each one and add them?

4. Feb 7, 2008 #3

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

Resistances in series add up.

5. Feb 7, 2008 #4
    how do I know they are in series?

6. Feb 7, 2008 #5
    Yea They are not clear on that point do they mean the wires were welded end to end to make a longer wire, OR as is the case sometimes, were the two wires used in parralel to make a thicker wire. I assume ened to end ie series as the person writing the problem would most likley have said welded at both ends if he/she meant paralell. So calculate resistance of each piece and simply add

7. Feb 7, 2008 #6
    oh ok....thank you!

8. Feb 7, 2008 #7
    If you re-read you have a 21-cm wire and a 101-cm wire. Therefore the only way this problem can work would be to have them end to end to have a 122-cm wire.

So, yes, as has been said above, just calculate both the resistances and add them together.

9. Feb 7, 2008 #8
    Great catch Ignea, my bad I read problem way too quick!! gets me killed every time

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?