1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Resistivity of a Rod

1. Jul 8, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A uniform metallic rod, with a cross-sectional area of 1.83 cm2
    and a length of 7.08 m, contains 6.24E28 conduction electrons per cubic meter of material, which have a mean collision time of 20.2 femtoseconds.

(a) Determine the resistivity of the rod.

When the rod experiences a potential diff erence of 2.52 mV from end to end, determine
    (b) the drift velocity of the electrons and
    (c) the current density in the rod.

2. Relevant equations

R = ρl/A
    J = ΔV/(ρl)
    vd = I/(neA) (n being the number of mobile charge carriers per unit volume, e is electron charge)

3. The attempt at a solution

So I know exactly how to do b and c, those are a piece of cake. Unfortunately, to actually answer those parts I need the answer from part a which I have no idea how to do.

I started by saying ρ=AR/l, but then I realized I don't have R directly given to me. All of the methods I thought of to get R involved needing information I wouldn't get till later steps (using Ohm's law and finding R from Iavg = nqvdA and known value of V, don't have vd; using ρ=E/J, J being current density which I also don't have yet.

I can't find anything in my book. I would guess that materials with higher resistivities have more frequent collisions (so higher mean collision times); more collisions, more resisting going on. As for conduction electron intuition, I'm not really sure. Any help?? I know the answer ranges from 1.5E-08 to 3.00E-08, so I even got desperate and tried multiplying values together to see if I could get anything within that order of magnitude.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted