Resistors and circuit requirements

In summary, the student can use the dozen 20Ω resistors she has to create the 5Ω and 10Ω resistors needed for the circuit by arranging them in parallel circuits. By putting 2 resistors in parallel, the resulting resistance is half of the individual resistances. Therefore, 4 parallel 20Ω resistors would equal 5Ω and 2 parallel 20Ω resistors would equal 10Ω. This method can also be applied to any other resistance value.
mppaki
1. A student needs a 5Ω and 10Ω resistor for a circuit, but she only has a dozen 20Ω resistors. Does she need to buy new resistors or can she meet the circuits requirements with the resistors that she has? Explain (be specific!).

2. I honestly don't know any equation to use...

3. What I'm thinking is that the girl can make a circuit with 2 parallel circuits like this one in this picture below. And by finding the req for each one, one would be 5Ω and the other would be 10Ω

parallelresistor.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are on the right track. It only remains to work out how you make each of the required resistors from 20 ohm values.

A Hint: For example if you put 2 x 100 ohms in parallel you get 50 ohms.

So how many 20 ohms in parallel would make 10 ohms? Once you get a handle on that idea, it should be a simple matter to work out to get 5 ohms (1/4 of 20).

alright thanks a lot overt26

What is a resistor and what is its role in a circuit?

A resistor is an electronic component that is designed to resist the flow of electrical current in a circuit. It is used to control the amount of current flowing through a circuit and to reduce the voltage. Resistors are commonly used to protect electronic components from being damaged by excessive current.

How do I choose the right resistor for my circuit?

The most important factor in choosing a resistor for your circuit is the resistance value. This value is measured in ohms and can be found on the resistor itself or in its datasheet. You should also consider the power rating, tolerance, and temperature coefficient of the resistor to ensure it can handle the requirements of your circuit.

What is the difference between a fixed resistor and a variable resistor?

A fixed resistor has a set resistance value that cannot be changed, while a variable resistor (also known as a potentiometer) allows the resistance to be adjusted within a certain range. Variable resistors are commonly used in applications where the resistance needs to be changed frequently, such as volume controls on electronic devices.

Can I connect resistors in series or parallel?

Yes, it is possible to connect resistors in series or parallel to achieve a specific resistance value. When resistors are connected in series, their resistance values are added together. When connected in parallel, the overall resistance is decreased, as the current has multiple paths to flow through.

What is the maximum power that a resistor can handle?

The power rating of a resistor is the maximum amount of power that it can safely handle without overheating. It is important to choose a resistor with a power rating that is equal to or greater than the maximum power expected in your circuit. Exceeding the power rating can cause the resistor to overheat and potentially fail.