Resistors in Series Calculations including Uncertainties

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving finding the total resistance of three resistors in series, each with a 10% uncertainty. The correct method is to calculate the uncertainty for each resistor and then add them together using the square root of the sum of squares formula. The conversation also clarifies that the 10% uncertainty means plus or minus 10% and not plus or minus 5%.
daveco-inc
Hey, this is my first post ever on PF, and I have done my best to follow the guidelines on posts asking for help with homework. Please know that I am not after the answer just to cheat and get the questions right, I am after the method so that I could do a similar question myself in the future.

Homework Statement

Three resistors in series are 4.0 Ohms, 9.4 Ohms and again 4 Ohms.
They all have a tolerance or uncertainty of 10%. What is the total resistance including uncertainties?

Homework Equations

Total resistance in series = R(1) + R(2) + R(3)

The Attempt at a Solution

The first part is easy, 4.0+9.4+4.0= 17.4

Now, I believe that when calculating uncertainty in this situation, you are meant to calculate the uncertainty for each resistor, and then add.

10% of 4 = 0.4
10% of 9.4 = .94
10 % of 4 = 0.4

Total uncertainty of all resistors combined = 1.74.

So am I correct in saying that the total resistance in series = 17.4 Ohms + or - 1.74 Ohms, correct? The thing I am worried about is whether it is +- 1.74, or half; 0.84.

Again, thanks for the help, and please let me know if I have broken any rules or how I can improve my post.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
if i remember correctly, when the quantities are added of sutracted,

the absolute error values (I mean the actually error values, not the percentages) are added together like calculating the hypotenuse of a triangle,

ie say your error values are x,y,z, the final error value should be:
sqrt(x^2 + y^2 + z^2)

Hmm. That's interesting. I will ask my teacher about the best approach in this situation. Thank you very much for your reply.

does the 10% uncertainty mean "plus or minus 5%" or does it mean "plus or minus 10%" ?

Seems to me it has to mean plus or minus 10%, so I believe your calculations are the right way to do it AND have the right answer.

The exact questions says: Three resistors are in series. They have values of 4.0 ohms, 9.4 ohms, and 4.0 ohms. All values have an uncertainty of 10%. What is the total resistance including uncertainties?

I believe that it means "plus or minus 10%", but I am not sure.

Thank you for your help.

Wukunlin is correct. The idea here is that the value of each resistor is a random variable, and when you sum them, you form a new random variable. The variance of the new random variable is the sum of the individual variances, where the variance is equal to the uncertainty squared.

An uncertainty of 10% means "plus or minus 10%".

phinds said:
does the 10% uncertainty mean "plus or minus 5%" or does it mean "plus or minus 10%" ?

Seems to me it has to mean plus or minus 10%, so I believe your calculations are the right way to do it AND have the right answer.

Tolerance in this case refers to the standard deviation in a normal distribution of the component values. Not the extreme values. You add standard deviation just like wukinlin said. It's a square root of the sum of the squares.

Related to Resistors in Series Calculations including Uncertainties

1. How do I calculate the total resistance of resistors in series?

To calculate the total resistance of resistors in series, simply add up the individual resistances. For example, if you have three resistors with values of 10 ohms, 20 ohms, and 30 ohms, the total resistance would be 10+20+30 = 60 ohms.

2. What is the formula for calculating uncertainties in resistors in series?

The formula for calculating uncertainties in resistors in series is the square root of the sum of the squares of the individual uncertainties. For example, if you have three resistors with uncertainties of 0.1 ohms, 0.2 ohms, and 0.3 ohms, the total uncertainty would be √(0.1^2 + 0.2^2 + 0.3^2) = 0.374 ohms.

3. How do I account for uncertainties in my calculations for resistors in series?

To account for uncertainties in resistors in series, you can use the formula for total uncertainty as mentioned above, or you can use a propagation of uncertainty formula to calculate the final uncertainty. This involves multiplying each individual uncertainty by the partial derivative of the total resistance formula with respect to that particular resistor.

4. Can I use different units for resistors in series calculations?

Yes, you can use different units for resistors in series calculations as long as they are all consistent. For example, if you have a resistor with a value of 1000 ohms and another with a value of 1 kilohm (1000 ohms), you can still add them together as long as you convert one to the same unit as the other.

5. How do I handle non-linear resistors in series calculations?

Non-linear resistors, such as diodes, cannot be added in series like linear resistors. The total resistance of non-linear resistors in series is not simply the sum of their individual resistances. Instead, you would need to use Kirchhoff's Circuit Laws or other methods to calculate the total resistance. Additionally, uncertainties for non-linear resistors would need to be calculated using different methods as well.