1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Resistors in Series Calculations including Uncertainties

1. Aug 26, 2011 #1
    Hey, this is my first post ever on PF, and I have done my best to follow the guidelines on posts asking for help with homework. Please know that I am not after the answer just to cheat and get the questions right, I am after the method so that I could do a similar question myself in the future.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Three resistors in series are 4.0 Ohms, 9.4 Ohms and again 4 Ohms.
    They all have a tolerance or uncertainty of 10%. What is the total resistance including uncertainties?

2. Relevant equations

Total resistance in series = R(1) + R(2) + R(3)

3. The attempt at a solution

The first part is easy, 4.0+9.4+4.0= 17.4

Now, I believe that when calculating uncertainty in this situation, you are meant to calculate the uncertainty for each resistor, and then add.

10% of 4 = 0.4
    10% of 9.4 = .94
    10 % of 4 = 0.4

Total uncertainty of all resistors combined = 1.74.

So am I correct in saying that the total resistance in series = 17.4 Ohms + or - 1.74 Ohms, correct? The thing I am worried about is whether it is +- 1.74, or half; 0.84.

Again, thanks for the help, and please let me know if I have broken any rules or how I can improve my post.

Thanks.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2011 #2

wukunlin

Gold Member

if i remember correctly, when the quantities are added of sutracted,

the absolute error values (I mean the actually error values, not the percentages) are added together like calculating the hypotenuse of a triangle,

ie say your error values are x,y,z, the final error value should be:
    sqrt(x^2 + y^2 + z^2)

4. Aug 26, 2011 #3
    Hmm. That's interesting. I will ask my teacher about the best approach in this situation. Thank you very much for your reply.

5. Aug 26, 2011 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

does the 10% uncertainty mean "plus or minus 5%" or does it mean "plus or minus 10%" ?

Seems to me it has to mean plus or minus 10%, so I believe your calculations are the right way to do it AND have the right answer.

6. Aug 26, 2011 #5
    The exact questions says: Three resistors are in series. They have values of 4.0 ohms, 9.4 ohms, and 4.0 ohms. All values have an uncertainty of 10%. What is the total resistance including uncertainties?

I believe that it means "plus or minus 10%", but I am not sure.

Thank you for your help.

7. Aug 26, 2011 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Wukunlin is correct. The idea here is that the value of each resistor is a random variable, and when you sum them, you form a new random variable. The variance of the new random variable is the sum of the individual variances, where the variance is equal to the uncertainty squared.

An uncertainty of 10% means "plus or minus 10%".

8. Aug 26, 2011 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Tolerance in this case refers to the standard deviation in a normal distribution of the component values. Not the extreme values. You add standard deviation just like wukinlin said. It's a square root of the sum of the squares.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook