Resonance need explanation (No maths)

• Thread starter goku999
  • Start date
I know that when the applied frequency on a mass is equal to the natural frequency, the mass resonates. It has a great amplitude as a result of this.

But I don't know how somethings affect the resonant frequency.

Like for a mass-spring system.
1) What effect would increasing the mass have on the resonant frequency?
2) What effect would stiffer springs have on a resonant frequency?

Also if a vehicle that is lightly damped passing over a bump at a certain speed, its chassis
bounced violently.
I know this is because the resonant frequency is equal to the applied frequency.
Does constructive interference play a part for the huge increase in amplitude?

3) What effect would it have on the resonant frequency of the vehicle is traveling at a different speed?
4) What effect would it have on the resonant frequency if more passengers were in the car?

Thanks, I just need some explanations so I can understand this.

Answers and Replies

berkeman
Mentor
Well, what do you think in the case of -1- and -2-? Think about a guitar string. What happens to the tone of the plucked string as you tighten the string? That should help you with -2-. Why do they use heavier strings for the lower note strings? That should help you with -1-. For the others, what does your textbook say about constructive interference?

berkeman said:
What happens to the tone of the plucked string as you tighten the string?
I don't know anything about guitars but,

I think if the string was tightened it would give a high note so does this make the resonant frequency higher because the frequency of the string would be greater?

berkeman said:
Why do they use heavier strings for the lower note strings?
Heavier strings give lower notes so does this mean it will shift the resonant frequency lower?

berkeman said:
what does your textbook say about constructive interference?
The textbook which has these questions don't provide any answers.
It also does not contain any information about constructive and destructive interference. I remember the constructive interference from experiments done in class. Something about waves reinforcing each other and canceling when destructive interference happens.
I just had a thought if these played a part in resonance.

Also if the resonant frequency is increased/decreased does that make it harder/easier for the applied frequency to make it resonate? Or it doesn't affect it at all?