Resources for IR tables for inorganic chemical bonds

In summary, the conversation revolved around the lack of literature on inorganic bonds and the possibility of finding relevant data through Google searches or reviews of topic areas. The suggestion was also made to search for papers on the original synthesis of specific organometallic compounds.
Mayhem
I recently had to do some IR specs of some inorganic compounds (technically organometallic), and I found the literature for inorganic bonds lacking, like the wavenumber of metal-oxygen, metal-carbon bonds etc. Is there a data book on this?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Likes Mayhem
If you are looking at a particular set of organometallic compounds, searching for papers on their original synthesis will give you examples to work from.
That's what we did when I was younger. Often you will find a review of a topic area with a lot of data available.

• Love
Likes Tom.G

1. What is an IR table for inorganic chemical bonds?

An IR table for inorganic chemical bonds is a resource that lists the characteristic infrared (IR) absorption frequencies for different types of inorganic chemical bonds. These frequencies can be used to identify the presence of specific chemical bonds in a molecule.

2. How are IR tables for inorganic chemical bonds organized?

IR tables for inorganic chemical bonds are typically organized by the type of bond, such as single bonds, double bonds, or triple bonds, and then further categorized by the elements involved in the bond, such as carbon-oxygen bonds or nitrogen-hydrogen bonds.

3. What is the purpose of using IR tables for inorganic chemical bonds?

The purpose of using IR tables for inorganic chemical bonds is to aid in the identification and characterization of molecules. By comparing the IR absorption frequencies of a sample with those listed in the table, scientists can determine the types of bonds present in the molecule.

4. Are IR tables for inorganic chemical bonds accurate for all molecules?

No, IR tables for inorganic chemical bonds are not accurate for all molecules. The listed frequencies are based on ideal conditions and may vary slightly depending on factors such as molecular structure and surrounding environment.

5. Where can I find IR tables for inorganic chemical bonds?

IR tables for inorganic chemical bonds can be found in various chemistry textbooks and online resources. Some universities and research institutions may also have their own databases of IR spectra for specific compounds.