Resume advice for Engineering/Physics Job Search

In summary, the conversation is about the person's current job at a construction department and their desire to find a job in electronics, programming, or technical consulting. They are wondering if they should rephrase a bullet point on their resume related to creating graphs with Matlab. Some advice is given on how to present this experience during interviews and some companies are suggested as potential places to apply. The person's resume is also attached and discussed briefly. The conversation also touches on the challenge of discussing projects that are subject to non-disclosure agreements. Lastly, a suggestion is made to change the order of listed items on the resume to increase its effectiveness.
VoloD
Hello Everyone

I have recently been working at a construction department for my state ( I live in the USA). I have learned so many things from this job, but I am looking for something more related to electronics, programming, or technical consulting.

One of my points mentions creating graphs with Matlab. The purpose of that point was to emphasize my skill level with Microsoft Excel Spreadsheets and MATLAB software. It was not my personal project, but rather a collaborative effort. Should I I rephrase that bullet point into something else?

Any advice on my resume will be appreciated ( and I have removed my identity per the rules) https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0mpPbqxBRzleUczTDZvUmF3UlE/view?usp=sharing

Physics news on Phys.org
VoloD said:
Hello Everyone

I have recently been working at a construction department for my state ( I live in the USA). I have learned so many things from this job, but I am looking for something more related to electronics, programming, or technical consulting.

One of my points mentions creating graphs with Matlab. The purpose of that point was to emphasize my skill level with Microsoft Excel Spreadsheets and MATLAB software. It was not my personal project, but rather a collaborative effort. Should I I rephrase that bullet point into something else?

Any advice on my resume will be appreciated ( and I have removed my identity per the rules) https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0mpPbqxBRzleUczTDZvUmF3UlE/view?usp=sharing
I think your resume looks fine, and I wouldn't bother re-wording your MATLAB experience. When you get asked about it in your interviews, just explain your part of the project and be sure to bring along a copy of the report to show off the work. :smile:

berkeman said:
When you get asked about it in your interviews, just explain your part of the project and be sure to bring along a copy of the report to show off the work. :smile:

Not sure about this as this might be a breach of ethics/law... disclosure of company proprietary sensitive information. Check your Intellectual Property Agreements you may have signed before disclosure.

Cannot see your resume for some strange reason but suffice any skills obtained using MatLab/Simulink would be advantageous to any company using such software, during any interview it will be apparent you have understanding of it's use.

infinitebubble said:
Not sure about this as this might be a breach of ethics/law... disclosure of company proprietary sensitive information. Check your Intellectual Property Agreements you may have signed before disclosure.
Oh, good point! I thought the results of the project were published in the public domain, but if the project is company proprietary, then you are absolutely right. Thanks.

VoloD said:
Hello Everyone

Short link http://bit.ly/2paUPxY

infinitebubble said:

Cannot see your resume for some strange reason but suffice any skills obtained using MatLab/Simulink would be advantageous to any company using such software, during any interview it will be apparent you have understanding of it's use.
Here is a short link, hope it helps (I'm using google drive to do this) http://bit.ly/2paUPxY

VoloD said:
Here is a short link, hope it helps (I'm using google drive to do this) http://bit.ly/2paUPxY

Sorry I still can't see it due to NASA/Boeing IT not allowing Google Drive having this material come through the system. Boeing would be a great place to use your MatLab skills but many other companies like Lockheed Martin, GE, Northrup Grumman, etc. would likely be best to get your resume read. National Labs like Argonne, Los Alamos, etc. are excellent places but these rely mostly on PHD's or Masters type degrees to get good career jobs and very hard to get in.

infinitebubble said:
Sorry I still can't see it due to NASA/Boeing IT not allowing Google Drive having this material come through the system.
I downloaded the document, converted it to PDF and will now attach it to this reply...

Attachments

• Anonymous Engineer Resume D.pdf
    102.1 KB · Views: 383
OK I can see your resume and it looks great. Here is a snapshot of the careers to be had at Boeing and I would suggest it highly. With your MSEE I don't see any reason you couldn't apply for a junior engineer position at any of these engineering groups.

Engineering Job Codes.JPG

Likes VoloD and berkeman
Some of those job markets can be kinda tough right now, depending on your geographic flexibility.

Your resume looks good, but while treading water in your current position, you can always look for projects and opportunities to expand your skill set and make it even stronger.

About 1/2 my work is locked down pretty tight under non-disclosure agreements, but I can usually get by with vague descriptions of the broad field (armor testing, analyzing data of vehicular blast experiments) along with listing the software tools used (LabVIEW, stats packages, custom C code, etc.) without violating the non-disclosures. Of course, anyone can also point to their publications. Occasionally, one needs to thwart a attempt to glean information about a project that is not in a published paper and is more about a proprietary product than about your professional skills.

Likes VoloD and berkeman
Change the order of some of your listed items .

Personnel managers generally read application forms and resumes from top down and dump the applicant when they come to the first listed item that they don't like .

Your resume as shown effectively opens with the keywords contractors / asphalt laying / maintenance . That will put your application for an engineer job straight in the bin .

Try putting your academic studies , research and the practical abilities which are actually relevant to the application in the first paragraph and describe your most recent work history briefly in a later - but ideally not the last- paragraph .

Likes infinitebubble, VoloD and berkeman
infinitebubble said:
OK I can see your resume and it looks great. Here is a snapshot of the careers to be had at Boeing and I would suggest it highly. With your MSEE I don't see any reason you couldn't apply for a junior engineer position at any of these engineering groups.

View attachment 198777
Thank You. I will definitely give it a chance.

Nidum said:
Change the order of some of your listed items .

Personnel managers generally read application forms and resumes from top down and dump the applicant when they come to the first listed item that they don't like .

Your resume as shown effectively opens with the keywords contractors / asphalt laying / maintenance . That will put your application for an engineer job straight in the bin .

Try putting your academic studies , research and the practical abilities which are actually relevant to the application in the first paragraph and describe your most recent work history briefly in a later - but ideally not the last- paragraph .

I NEVER would have though about it like that. I was trying to make this resume "stand out" in the ATS ( Automated Tracking System). But I was not sure how effective it would show my education and skills versus my current position. I will try a slightly different order and work on the details.

What should I include in my engineering/physics resume?

Your resume should include your education, relevant work experience, technical skills, research experience, and any relevant projects you have completed. You may also want to include any publications, certifications, or awards.

How do I format my engineering/physics resume?

The format of your resume should be clean and organized, with clear headings and bullet points to make it easy to read. Use a professional font and stick to a simple and consistent layout. Make sure to tailor your resume to the specific job you are applying for and highlight your most relevant experiences and skills.

Should I include a cover letter with my resume?

Yes, it is always recommended to include a cover letter with your resume. A cover letter allows you to expand on your qualifications and experiences and explain why you are a good fit for the job. It also shows your interest and enthusiasm for the position.

How important is it to have a technical skills section on my resume?

It is very important to have a technical skills section on your resume, especially for engineering and physics positions. This section allows you to highlight your specific technical abilities and show your potential employer that you have the necessary skills for the job.

What are some common mistakes to avoid in an engineering/physics resume?

Some common mistakes to avoid include typos and grammatical errors, including irrelevant information, not tailoring your resume to the specific job, and not highlighting your achievements and accomplishments. It is also important to keep your resume concise and not exceed two pages.