Resurrecting Old Threads: What's the PF Policy?

• Thread starter Defennder
  • Start date
In summary, there is no official policy on posting in old threads on the forum, but it is generally frowned upon if the thread is several years old. It is acceptable to post in old threads if providing updates or new information, but it is encouraged to start a new thread if the original post is no longer relevant. Mentors may also request a new thread be opened if the old one no longer meets current guidelines.
Defennder
Homework Helper
Resurrecting "dead" threads

I'm wondering if PF has a policy against posting in old threads which haven't had a reply since months back. I mean, if I wanted to discuss something which was already covered by the thread, there can't be anything wrong with posting a question in it, right? The only alternative would be to start a new thread, but that seems like a waste of time to retype the problem when one has already found a relevant thread, especially if I'm not only concerned about the original post but one of the replies to it.

What's the PF policy regarding this?

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no clear policy on this as it hasn't been a big problem. If it's within a few months, no big deal, but if it's a few years old it's unofficially frowned upon.

I think it depends upon the situation.

If one is providing an update on a topic, then it seems appropriate.

On the other hand, if the post is a response to someone's comment or request for information, and due to the length of time, the new information is no longer relevant, i.e. it's too late to be of use, then one should start a new thread.

I think I have brought forward a thread to provide new or updated information, but the thread would be in one of the science or engineering forums.

So it's sort of okay I guess? Has anyone ever been warned, officially or unofficially, for resurrecting dead threads?

It depends on how or why they resurrected thread. The person might have been warned about their post, not necessarily posting to the old thread.

Also a very old thread may no longer meet current guidelines and in that case a mentor may request that a new thread be opened if your post meets current guidelines.

Last edited:

What is the definition of "resurrecting dead threads"?

"Resurrecting dead threads" refers to the act of reviving old or inactive online forum or discussion board posts by adding new comments or replies, often after a significant amount of time has passed since the original post was made.

Why do people "resurrect" dead threads?

People may "resurrect" dead threads for a variety of reasons, including wanting to continue a conversation or debate, seeking updated information on a topic, or simply finding the post in a search and wanting to contribute to the discussion.

Is it considered good etiquette to "resurrect" dead threads?

It depends on the specific online community and their guidelines. In some forums, it may be encouraged to add new information or perspectives to old posts, while in others it may be frowned upon as a form of spam or clutter. It is always best to check the forum's guidelines before resurrecting a dead thread.

Are there any benefits to "resurrecting" dead threads?

Resurrecting dead threads can be beneficial in that it can bring new information or perspectives to old discussions, and can also help keep the forum active and engaged. It can also be a way for users to connect with others who share similar interests or knowledge on a topic.

What are some potential drawbacks of "resurrecting" dead threads?

Some potential drawbacks of resurrecting dead threads include cluttering the forum with old or irrelevant posts, causing confusion for new users who may not realize they are reading an old thread, and possibly derailing the original topic of the thread. It is important to be mindful and respectful when reviving old posts.