Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Resurrecting dead threads

1. Jan 23, 2008 #1

Defennder

Homework Helper

Resurrecting "dead" threads

I'm wondering if PF has a policy against posting in old threads which haven't had a reply since months back. I mean, if I wanted to discuss something which was already covered by the thread, there can't be anything wrong with posting a question in it, right? The only alternative would be to start a new thread, but that seems like a waste of time to retype the problem when one has already found a relevent thread, especially if I'm not only concerned about the original post but one of the replies to it.

What's the PF policy regarding this?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2008 #2
    There is no clear policy on this as it hasn't been a big problem. If it's within a few months, no big deal, but if it's a few years old it's unofficially frowned upon.

4. Jan 23, 2008 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I think it depends upon the situation.

If one is providing an update on a topic, then it seems appropriate.

On the other hand, if the post is a response to someone's comment or request for information, and due to the length of time, the new information is no longer relevant, i.e. it's too late to be of use, then one should start a new thread.

I think I have brought forward a thread to provide new or updated information, but the thread would be in one of the science or engineering forums.

5. Jan 23, 2008 #4

Defennder

Homework Helper

So it's sort of okay I guess? Has anyone ever been warned, officially or unofficially, for resurrecting dead threads?

6. Jan 23, 2008 #5

Evo

Staff: Mentor

It depends on how or why they resurrected thread. The person might have been warned about their post, not necessarily posting to the old thread.

Also a very old thread may no longer meet current guidelines and in that case a mentor may request that a new thread be opened if your post meets current guidelines.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?