Can I Land an REU at a Top 40 School?

In summary, the individual is a sophomore at a top 50 big state school and is interested in attending an REU this summer. They have heard that getting into REUs is difficult for sophomores, but they have strong credentials, including working in a HEP lab, having good grades in physics and math classes, and experience with programming languages. They plan to apply to several schools for the REU. The conversation also mentions that some REU programs prioritize minority outreach while others focus on recruiting top students for their graduate program. The individual also asks about international REUs and mentions being accepted to one as a sophomore.
ktb
I am currently a sophomore at a top 50 big state school who is interested in attending an REU this summer. I've heard getting into REUs is very very hard as a sophomore as they favor juniors. I am also a domestic white male. I've been working in a HEP lab at my home university since April 2011 and put in about 20 hours a week during the summer. I've gotten all A's in my physics and math classes except a B+ in physics 1 my first semester of college. I've taken calc 1-3, linear algebra, and DEQ1 and am wait listed for Complex variables this spring. I'm also taking Into to Thermodynamics and Techniques in Theoretical Physics this spring. I know C and C++ from working in the lab and python from a class I took this fall. I'm getting LOR from the professor I work under and a postdoc in the lab who I do all my work with.

With my kind of resume, do I have a realistic chance of landing an REU at a top 40 school? or should I try and look for some safeties? Here are the schools I have or will apply to.

Michigan (REU at CERN)
UCDavis
UCLA
Colorado
Michigan State
Duke
Columbia
Stony Brook
Rice
Texas A&M
Washington

Physics news on Phys.org
Your credentials are fine. The big issue is what the REU program is looking for. Some programs taking minority outreach very seriously and go after people who wouldn't consider science careers. Other programs view their REU as a pre-grad school so they can recruit the best students to their school.

FYI: i got into an REU as a soph. It was an international one. The biggest criteria for my program was "who can survive in a foreign country with almost no support network". Just this filter was enough to get the right number of applicants.

Thanks. Do you know of any good websites with listings for international REUs? I'd really like to work in another country, but the only one I could find was for U of Michigan at CERN.

1. Can I apply for REUs at multiple Top 40 schools?

Yes, you can apply for REUs at multiple Top 40 schools. In fact, it is recommended that you apply to several schools to increase your chances of being accepted.

2. What are the requirements for an REU at a Top 40 school?

The specific requirements may vary by school, but generally, you will need to be a current undergraduate student, have a strong academic record, and have a passion for research in your field of study.

3. Is it necessary to have prior research experience to land an REU at a Top 40 school?

No, prior research experience is not always necessary to land an REU at a Top 40 school. However, having some experience, such as working in a research lab or completing a research project, can strengthen your application.

4. How competitive is the application process for REUs at Top 40 schools?

The application process for REUs at Top 40 schools can be quite competitive, as these schools receive a large number of applications each year. It is important to have a strong application and to apply to multiple schools to increase your chances of being accepted.

5. Can I apply for an REU at a Top 40 school if I don't attend a Top 40 school myself?

Yes, you can still apply for an REU at a Top 40 school even if you do not attend a Top 40 school yourself. These programs are open to students from all institutions, as long as they meet the eligibility requirements and have a strong application.