When Will REU Decisions Be Released? Tips from a First-Time Applicant

In summary, the author applied to 10 programs and has accepted two, but has not heard back from the others.
phun
I applied to a bunch of programs with 2/15 deadline and haven't heard back from any.
This is my first time applying to REUs so I have no idea when I should be expecting the decisions to come.
Can anyone provide insights?

Physics news on Phys.org
I applied to some in a similar timeframe or within a week or two later and haven't heard back from any yet, either.

i only applied to the Cornell Summer Math Institute, i hear back at the end of this month. only 10 people get accepted, I'm praying i get in. i get to step up my game and challenge myself.

Was going to apply to some REUs, but I only had 2 weeks to round up letters of recommendation and write a personal statement. I decided I wanted to do it too late. I will do it next summer, hopefully. This summer I am going to do an engineering internship at Takata. www.takata.com

I applied to about ten programs that were a mix between astronomy and physics... I've heard back from three so far, but no luck.:frown: Two of those were programs with February 1 deadlines, however, so I still have a bit of hope.

I've applied 9 REU's and heard back from three so far. It will depends on each institutions(obviously), some of the earlier ones are the ones with early deadline. Be patient, and try writting an e-mail to the coordinator or to the professors directly(e-lobbying) and it might do a good(so I heard).

lol, i still haven't heard back from two!

i got into indiana's program, though, so I'm happy.

What the different between doing a REU and just researching under a professor in your department for the summer?

Maxwell said:
What the different between doing a REU and just researching under a professor in your department for the summer?

Not much difference, really.

I didn't apply to any so I'm not doing any REU. I have a friend who did apply and he'll be going to the new spallation neutron source this summer. He got accepted quite awhile ago (first or second week of March).

I'll be working in lab this summer with a professor. I'll be measuring semiconductor devices grad students made. It's not research, but then again I wonder how many engineers do real undergraduate research.

Last edited:
well, here's my update:
applied to 10 programs.
accepted to 2 programs (1 end of March, 1 beginning of April) - very happy that I got accepted to these programs :)
rejected from 5 programs
have not heard from 3 programs (but I'm assuming I didn't get accepted)
Already replied to the first program that accepted me more than a month ago, but they have not assigned me to a professor yet. I don't know if this is how it goes usually.

1. What is an REU?

An REU (Research Experience for Undergraduates) is a summer program funded by the National Science Foundation that allows undergraduate students to participate in hands-on research projects in various scientific fields.

2. Who can apply for an REU?

Undergraduate students who are currently enrolled in a college or university and have completed at least one year of coursework are eligible to apply for an REU program. Some programs may have additional requirements, such as a minimum GPA or specific coursework.

3. How do I find an REU program?

The best way to find an REU program is to search the National Science Foundation's website, as they have a comprehensive list of programs available. You can also check with your university's science department or professors for recommendations.

4. What can I expect from an REU program?

An REU program typically involves conducting research under the guidance of a faculty mentor and working closely with other students in the program. You may also have the opportunity to attend workshops, seminars, and present your research at the end of the program.

5. Is an REU program worth it?

Participating in an REU program can provide valuable hands-on research experience, networking opportunities, and a chance to explore a potential career path. It can also enhance your resume and make you a more competitive candidate for graduate school or future job opportunities.