1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

REU this summer anyone?

1. Mar 13, 2006 #1
    I applied to a bunch of programs with 2/15 deadline and haven't heard back from any.
    This is my first time applying to REUs so I have no idea when I should be expecting the decisions to come.
    Can anyone provide insights?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2006 #2
    I applied to some in a similar timeframe or within a week or two later and haven't heard back from any yet, either.
  4. Mar 13, 2006 #3
    i only applied to the Cornell Summer Math Institute, i hear back at the end of this month. only 10 people get accepted, i'm praying i get in. i get to step up my game and challenge myself.
  5. Mar 13, 2006 #4
    Was going to apply to some REUs, but I only had 2 weeks to round up letters of recommendation and write a personal statement. I decided I wanted to do it too late. I will do it next summer, hopefully. This summer I am going to do an engineering internship at Takata. www.takata.com
  6. Mar 14, 2006 #5
    I applied to about ten programs that were a mix between astronomy and physics... I've heard back from three so far, but no luck.:frown: Two of those were programs with February 1 deadlines, however, so I still have a bit of hope.
  7. Mar 17, 2006 #6
    I've applied 9 REU's and heard back from three so far. It will depends on each institutions(obviously), some of the earlier ones are the ones with early deadline. Be patient, and try writting an e-mail to the coordinator or to the professors directly(e-lobbying) and it might do a good(so I heard).
  8. May 2, 2006 #7
    lol, i still haven't heard back from two!

i got into indiana's program, though, so i'm happy.
  9. May 2, 2006 #8
    What the different between doing a REU and just researching under a professor in your department for the summer?
  10. May 2, 2006 #9
    Not much difference, really.
  11. May 2, 2006 #10
    I didn't apply to any so I'm not doing any REU. I have a friend who did apply and he'll be going to the new spallation neutron source this summer. He got accepted quite awhile ago (first or second week of March).

I'll be working in lab this summer with a professor. I'll be measuring semiconductor devices grad students made. It's not research, but then again I wonder how many engineers do real undergraduate research.
    Last edited: May 2, 2006
  12. May 3, 2006 #11
    well, here's my update:
    applied to 10 programs.
    accepted to 2 programs (1 end of March, 1 beginning of April) - very happy that I got accepted to these programs :)
    rejected from 5 programs
    have not heard from 3 programs (but I'm assuming I didn't get accepted)
    Already replied to the first program that accepted me more than a month ago, but they have not assigned me to a professor yet. I don't know if this is how it goes usually.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?