Reversible Ceiling Fan: Benefits & Functionality

In summary, the reverse switch on a standard 3 speed reversible ceiling fan allows for a change in air flow direction, either blowing air up or down. The main benefit is the ability to control whether the occupants feel a breeze or not. The direction of the air flow does not have a significant impact on air circulation, but rather affects the sensation of a breeze. In the summer, the fan should be set to blow down to provide a cool breeze, while in the winter, it should be set to blow up to circulate warm air without creating a breeze. The symmetrical circulation between forward and reverse is not the same, as the blowing side directs the air away while the suction side takes in air from all directions.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
(I think I've actually asked this before...):blushing:

I have a standard 3 speed reversbile ceiling fan. The reverse switch of course changes it from blowing air up to blowing air down.

What is the benefit of reversing the fan?

Most people seem to think that it constitutes a difference between drawing air into the room and blowing air out of the room. (without thinking it through about equalization of air pressure and the fact that you can't have and 'in' without also having an 'out'.)

Personally, I believe that the air flow is direction-agnostic. The flow - either way - forms a toroid, rotating either down or up around the outer edge, but otherwise having no in-the-room or out-of-room effect.

The only functional difference between 'up' and 'down' is whether the occupants feel a breeze. You'd use the 'down' on a hot day when a breeze would be nice, and you'd use the 'up' anytime you want to circulate the air without blowing on people, such as in the winter.

Am I right?

All opinions welcome, but I would be interested in the input of someone who can speak with authority about it.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Russ is our HVAC man, see if you can catch him in one of the Engineering forums instead.

In the normal mode it gives you a breeze which cool you through convection. The opposite isn't totally useless though. When it is cold outside the windows and other walls may be cold while the center of the room and the ceilling retains the warmer air. The reverse setting makes sure this air circulates throughout the room.

FulhamFan3 said:
In the normal mode it gives you a breeze which cool you through convection. The opposite isn't totally useless though. When it is cold outside the windows and other walls may be cold while the center of the room and the ceilling retains the warmer air. The reverse setting makes sure this air circulates throughout the room.
What I am trying to determine - specifically - is whether the circulation is symmetrical between forward and reverse. i.e. the cold walls will have air blown past them whether it is going up or going down.

Attachments

• PF060923ceiling-fan.gif
    PF060923ceiling-fan.gif
    5.2 KB · Views: 521
Last edited:
there is virtually no difference to a dry bulb thermometer for the fan direction.
both directions will mix the air, creating a more stable temp gradiant. Down force FEELS cooler because you feel the breeze on your skin.

Waaaay late (sorry) but just recently resurrected...
DaveC426913 said:
What I am trying to determine - specifically - is whether the circulation is symmetrical between forward and reverse. i.e. the cold walls will have air blown past them whether it is going up or going down.
No, the circulation is not symmetrical because the blowing side directs the air directly away from it, while on the suction side, the air comes in from all directions. You can test this by sticking your hand behind a desk fan - you'll feel little or nothing. With equal fan speeds, you'll get much less blowing across the walls with the fan blowing up because the fan is close to the ceiling and you kill the velocity by blowing straight at the ceiling.

In the summer, you want wind blowing across your skin, so you blow straight down. In the winter, you want even temperature throughout the room, without it feeling breezy, so you have the fan blowing up.

Last edited:

1. What is a reversible ceiling fan?

A reversible ceiling fan is a type of ceiling fan that has a motor that can rotate in both clockwise and counterclockwise directions, allowing it to move air in different directions and provide both cooling and heating benefits.

2. What are the benefits of a reversible ceiling fan?

The main benefit of a reversible ceiling fan is its versatility. By being able to rotate in both directions, it can be used to cool a room in the summer and circulate warm air in the winter, helping to save energy and reduce heating and cooling costs. It can also help to distribute air more evenly throughout a room, providing better air circulation and comfort.

3. How does a reversible ceiling fan work?

A reversible ceiling fan works by using a switch on the motor to change the direction of the fan blades. In the summer, the blades rotate counterclockwise, creating a downdraft that helps to cool the room. In the winter, the blades rotate clockwise, creating an updraft that helps to circulate warm air and reduce heating costs.

4. Can I install a reversible ceiling fan myself?

It is possible to install a reversible ceiling fan yourself, but it is recommended to have a professional electrician install it to ensure it is done safely and correctly. The installation process can be complex and may require knowledge of electrical wiring and tools.

5. Are there different types of reversible ceiling fans?

Yes, there are different types of reversible ceiling fans, including traditional ceiling fans, hugger ceiling fans, and low-profile ceiling fans. There are also different styles, sizes, and colors to choose from, allowing you to find the perfect reversible ceiling fan for your space.