Calculating Rotor Revolutions for Space Probe Orientation Change

In summary, the electric motor's rotor has a rotational inertia of 2.5*10-3 kg · m2 about its central axis and is used to change the orientation of a space probe with a rotational inertia of 8 kg · m2 about the same axis. Using the conservation of angular momentum, the number of revolutions of the rotor needed to turn the probe 30° about its axis is 266.67. This method has been successful for other UF students as well.
GingerBread27
The rotor of an electric motor has rotational inertia I am = 2.5*10-3 kg · m2 about its central axis. The motor is used to change the orientation of the space probe in which it is mounted. The motor axis is mounted along the central axis of the probe. The probe has rotational inertia Ip = 8 kg · m2 about this axis. Calculate the number of revolutions of the rotor required to turn the probe through 30° about its axis.

Not sure where to start, except that you have to use the idea of conservation of angular momentum.

Physics news on Phys.org
(Ip*(degrees/360))/Im I am telling you, if you just send me an instant message, we've done the uf homework, you can get help from me on there... or just keep posting here... whatevers easier i guess

so it did work? that why you deleted your post?
its 266.67, and it does work, its worked for every uf student I've shown that to

yeah it worked lol

heh, good, i was wondering there for a minute...

1. What is a "Rotor" in the context of revolutions?

A rotor is a rotating component of a machine, typically found in motors or turbines, that converts energy from one form to another through rotational motion.

2. How do revolutions of a rotor affect the performance of a machine?

The revolutions of a rotor determine the speed and power output of a machine. Higher revolutions can lead to increased efficiency and performance, while lower revolutions may result in slower operation and reduced power output.

3. What factors can impact the revolutions of a rotor?

The design and size of the rotor, as well as the type of energy input and load on the machine, can all impact the revolutions of a rotor. External factors such as temperature and friction can also play a role.

4. Can the revolutions of a rotor be controlled?

Yes, the revolutions of a rotor can be controlled through various methods such as adjusting the energy input or changing the design of the rotor. Advanced technologies, such as variable speed drives, also allow for precise control of rotor revolutions.

5. Are there any safety concerns related to revolutions of a rotor?

Yes, high revolutions of a rotor can create significant amounts of kinetic energy, which can be dangerous if not properly controlled. It is important to follow proper safety protocols and regularly maintain machines with rotors to ensure safe operation.