Reynold's Equation: Navier-Stokes to Const. Density Flow

• Thread starter mekrob
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about converting the Navier-Stokes Equation into the Reynold's Equation, but the person is having trouble finding the equation in their notes or book. They clarify that they just need to know the end result, which involves the time-averaged N-S equation and the Reynolds' stress tensor.
mekrob
Hi,

I've been asked to turn the Navier-Stokes Equation (incompressible flow, constant density) into the Reynold's Equation. However, I can't find the Reynold's equation in my notes or book. I don't need help solving the problem, I just need to know the end result, otherwise I have no idea what I'm working towards.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Reynold's equation is the time-averaged N-S equation when we explicitly regard the velocity field as random.
The main feature that will pop up will be "Reynolds' stress tensor", which is, in essence, the non-linear products of the random perturbations that affects the evolution of the avereged velocity field.

Hi there,

The Reynold's Equation is a simplified version of the Navier-Stokes Equation, which describes the motion of a fluid. It is commonly used in fluid dynamics to analyze the flow of incompressible fluids at constant density. The equation is named after the British engineer and physicist, Osborne Reynolds, who first derived it in the 19th century.

The Reynold's Equation can be written as:

∂u/∂t + (u·∇)u = -∇p/ρ + ν∇^2u

where u is the fluid velocity, t is time, p is pressure, ρ is density, and ν is the kinematic viscosity of the fluid. This equation is essentially the same as the Navier-Stokes Equation, but it assumes that the fluid is incompressible, meaning that its density remains constant throughout the flow.

To arrive at this equation, the Navier-Stokes Equation is simplified by neglecting the convective term (u·∇)u and assuming that the density is constant. This results in a simplified form of the equation, which is easier to solve for certain types of flow problems.

I hope this helps clarify the Reynold's Equation for you. Let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck with your work!

What is Reynold's Equation?

Reynold's Equation is a mathematical model used to describe the motion of a viscous fluid, taking into account factors such as fluid viscosity, pressure, and velocity. It is derived from the Navier-Stokes equations, which govern fluid flow at a constant density.

What is the importance of Reynold's Equation?

Reynold's Equation is essential in understanding and predicting the behavior of fluids in various applications, such as in engineering, physics, and biology. It allows us to analyze the flow of fluids in pipes, channels, and other systems, as well as optimize designs for improved efficiency.

How does Reynold's Equation relate to Navier-Stokes equations?

Reynold's Equation is a simplified version of the Navier-Stokes equations, which are a set of partial differential equations that describe the motion of a fluid. Reynold's Equation is derived by assuming that the fluid has a constant density, simplifying the equations and making them easier to solve.

What is meant by "constant density flow" in Reynold's Equation?

Constant density flow refers to the assumption that the density of the fluid remains constant throughout the flow. This simplifies the equations and makes it easier to calculate the fluid's behavior. However, in some situations, such as compressible flows, this assumption may not hold and other equations must be used.

Can Reynold's Equation be applied to all types of fluid flow?

No, Reynold's Equation is only applicable to steady, laminar flows of incompressible fluids. It cannot accurately model turbulent flows or flows with variable density. In these cases, more complex equations, such as the full Navier-Stokes equations, must be used.