Verify Rationale: Decreasing Blood Density to Reduce Turbulent Flow

In summary, the conversation discusses the factors that can decrease the chance of turbulent blood flow in a vein. The correct answer is D, which involves lowering the blood density without thinning it. The conversation also mentions how decreasing the radius of the vein can also decrease the Reynolds number and thus decrease turbulent flow.
tenbee

Homework Statement

This time I'd like someone to verify that my rationale behind the correct answer is accurate...

Which of the following will decrease the chance of turbulent blood flow in a vein?

A. Narrowing the vein.
B. Thinning the blood without changing its density.
C. Increasing the absolute pressure on each end of the vein by the same amount.
D. Lowering the blood density without thinning it.

Correct Answer: D.

Homework Equations

Reynolds number (NR): NR = (2ρvR)/η
where ρ is density, v is the average velocity, R is the vessel's radius, and η is viscosity.

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay... I know a fluid with Reynold's number less than 2000 is results in laminar and non-turbulent flow. Of course I see why D is absolutely correct because a drop in density without changing it's viscosity will decrease NR, but what about choice A as well?! if I decrease the radius I should get the same effect right?

...OR! (I just had an epiphany) because flow rate *must* remain the same (Q=Av), decreasing the radius would only increase the velocity, thus there would be no change.

What do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh Sorry I wasn't more descriptive in the title - I clicked submit before realizing that.

lets see ...

Q is volume which flows per second ... which is constant.

Q = πR2v

lets substitute for v

[itex]N_R = \frac{2\rho}{\eta} \frac{QR}{\pi R^2}[/itex]

[itex]N_R = \frac{2\rho Q}{\eta \pi R}[/itex]

so yes decreasing R should inc. NR

cupid.callin said:
lets see ...

Q is volume which flows per second ... which is constant.

Q = πR2v

lets substitute for v

[itex]N_R = \frac{2\rho}{\eta} \frac{QR}{\pi R^2}[/itex]

[itex]N_R = \frac{2\rho Q}{\eta \pi R}[/itex]

so yes decreasing R should inc. NR

Great - thanks for showing me the equations as well!

I can confirm that your rationale behind the correct answer is accurate. Decreasing the blood density without changing its viscosity will result in a decrease in Reynolds number, which is a measure of the likelihood of turbulent flow. This is because the decrease in density will lead to a decrease in the average velocity, which will ultimately decrease the Reynolds number.

As for choice A, narrowing the vein may initially decrease the Reynolds number, but it will also lead to an increase in velocity, which could potentially increase the likelihood of turbulent flow. Additionally, as you mentioned, the flow rate must remain constant, so any decrease in the vein's radius would result in an increase in velocity to maintain the same flow rate.

Overall, lowering the blood density without thinning it is the most effective way to decrease the chance of turbulent flow in a vein.

1. What is the rationale behind decreasing blood density to reduce turbulent flow?

The rationale behind decreasing blood density to reduce turbulent flow is that a decrease in blood density can lead to a decrease in viscosity, which in turn can decrease turbulence in blood flow. This can help improve circulation and reduce the risk of cardiovascular diseases.

2. How does blood density affect turbulent flow?

Blood density plays a key role in the viscosity of blood, which is the resistance of a fluid to flow. A higher blood density can lead to a higher viscosity, resulting in more turbulent flow. By decreasing blood density, the viscosity decreases and turbulent flow is reduced.

3. What are the potential benefits of reducing turbulent flow in blood?

Reducing turbulent flow in blood can have several potential benefits, such as improving circulation, reducing the risk of cardiovascular diseases, and preventing damage to blood vessels. It can also help to decrease the workload on the heart, leading to better overall cardiovascular health.

4. Is there evidence to support the effectiveness of decreasing blood density to reduce turbulent flow?

Yes, there is evidence to support this rationale. Several studies have shown that decreasing blood density can lead to a decrease in viscosity and turbulent flow, resulting in improved circulation and reduced risk of cardiovascular diseases. However, more research is needed to fully understand the effects and potential benefits of this approach.

5. Are there any potential risks or drawbacks to decreasing blood density?

While decreasing blood density may have potential benefits, there are also some risks and drawbacks to consider. Some studies have shown that a decrease in blood density can lead to an increase in clotting, which can increase the risk of stroke or heart attack. Additionally, altering blood density may have other unintended effects on the body that are not fully understood yet.