Where Can I Find Rhodoferax Ferrireducens?

• Thread starter PRodQuanta
  • Start date
In summary, Paden Roder is seeking information on how to obtain rhodoferax ferrireducens, a phototrophic purple nonsulfur bacterium that can convert sugar into electricity. He has already contacted laboratories mentioned in references but is also asking if anyone on PF knows how to obtain it.
PRodQuanta
Does anybody know how I could get ahold of these little critters?:
rhodoferax ferrireducens
Paden Roder

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have no idea, but I've changed the name of this thread to "rhodoferax ferrireducens". The title "How?" is not going to attract any of our biology gurus.

I did a "google" search on "rhodoferax ferrireducens"
and found that it is a "phototrophic purple nonsulfur bacterium" which, apparently has the ability to convert sugar directly into electrity!

I would recommend that you do your own google search and then contact the laboratories named in the references. I strongly suspect you will not find it at K-Mart!

haha, yes, probably not at walmart. I have already emailed these laboratories, but I was wondering if anybody on PF would know. :wink:
Thanks guys.
Paden Roder

What is Rhodoferax ferrireducens?

Rhodoferax ferrireducens is a type of bacteria commonly found in aquatic environments, particularly in sediments and groundwater. It is known for its ability to reduce iron and other metals, making it an important organism in bioremediation processes.

How does Rhodoferax ferrireducens carry out iron reduction?

Rhodoferax ferrireducens uses specialized enzymes to convert insoluble iron into a soluble form that can be used as an energy source. This process, known as dissimilatory iron reduction, also helps to remove iron from the environment, making it an important tool for cleaning up polluted waters.

What other metals can Rhodoferax ferrireducens reduce?

In addition to iron, Rhodoferax ferrireducens is also capable of reducing other metals such as manganese, uranium, and chromium. This makes it a valuable organism for bioremediation of contaminated sites.

Is Rhodoferax ferrireducens harmful to humans?

No, Rhodoferax ferrireducens is not known to be harmful to humans. In fact, it has been found to have potential benefits for human health, such as its ability to degrade pollutants and its production of bioactive compounds that may have medicinal properties.

How can Rhodoferax ferrireducens be studied in the lab?

Scientists can study Rhodoferax ferrireducens in the lab by growing it in cultures and studying its growth and metabolism. It can also be genetically manipulated to better understand its mechanisms for iron reduction and other processes.