What is the magnitude of the aftershock

In summary, to find the magnitude of the aftershock, we can use the equation m = log(x) - log(i_0), where x represents the intensity ratio between the earthquake and aftershock. Since the value of i_0 is irrelevant, we can cancel it out and focus on solving for x. Using the given information that the earthquake is 39 times as intense as the aftershock, we can write the equation as m = log(39x). From there, we can solve for x and determine the magnitude of the aftershock.
gatita0225

Homework Statement

An earthquake with a magnitude of 5.4 is 39 times as intense as an aftershock that occurs 5 hours later. What is the magnitude of the aftershock.

Homework Equations

m=log_10(i/i_0)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that I what to find the magnitude
m=log_10(39/i_0)
I am stuck because I do not know what # do I replace "/i_0' with..please help!?

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need it, the i_0 is irrelevant.
Look at it this way: m1 = 5.4 = log(39x/i_0) = log(39x) - log(i_0).
and m = log(x/i_0) = log(x) - log(i_0).
You can cancel out the i_0, since it won't help you.

*edit* Even more simply, let x= i/i_0, then there is even less to worry about. Just remember the product rule for logarithms.

Last edited:

1. What is an aftershock?

An aftershock is a smaller earthquake that occurs after a larger earthquake, usually within a short period of time and in the same area.

2. How is the magnitude of an aftershock measured?

The magnitude of an aftershock is measured using the same scale as the initial earthquake, known as the Richter scale. This scale measures the energy released by the earthquake, with each whole number representing a tenfold increase in magnitude.

3. Can the magnitude of an aftershock be predicted?

No, the magnitude of an aftershock cannot be predicted. While scientists can estimate the likelihood of aftershocks occurring in a certain area and time frame, the specific magnitude of each aftershock is unpredictable.

4. Is the magnitude of an aftershock always smaller than the initial earthquake?

Not necessarily. While aftershocks are typically smaller than the initial earthquake, there have been cases where aftershocks have been larger. This is known as a "doublet" event.

5. How long can aftershocks continue after the initial earthquake?

Aftershocks can continue for weeks, months, or even years after the initial earthquake. However, they generally decrease in frequency and magnitude over time.