Right Hand Rule for Lenz's Law: Examples & Solutions

In summary, the right hand rule for Lenz's Law is used to determine the direction of induced current by pointing your thumb in the opposite direction of the magnetic field and using the curl of your fingers to show the direction of the current. Examples of applying this rule include a circular wire loop with a changing magnetic field and a circular loop with a reversed magnetic field.
jti3066

Homework Statement

I am having trouble understanding right hand rule for Lenz's Law.

I need to know how to use the right hand rule with lenz'z law to find the dircection of induced current.

What if a current is flowing clockwise, with mag. field going into page, is the magnetic field strength increasing or decreasing?

I understand that if I point my thumb in the direction of current, my "curled" fingers will show the direction of the magnetic field created by wire.

I have not found any good explanations into this rule...Following are example problems:

A circular wire loop 40 cm in diameter has 100 resistance and lies in a horizontal plane. A uniform magnetic field points vertically downward, and in 28 ms it increases linearly from 4.0 mT to 53 mT. Which way does this current flow?

The magnetic field perpendicular to a circular loop of wire 16 cm in diameter is changed from +0.52 T to -0.45 T in 204 ms, where + means the field points away from an observer and - toward the observer. In what direction does the induced current flow?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
instead try this,

suppose B is into paper and increasing ... so ac. to lenz law ... point your thumb opposite to the B ... ie out of paper ...
the curl gives direction of current in any closed loop.

1. What is the "Right Hand Rule" for Lenz's Law?

The Right Hand Rule is a method used to determine the direction of the induced current in a circuit, as described by Lenz's Law. It states that when a change in magnetic flux occurs in a closed circuit, an induced current will flow in a direction that opposes the change in flux.

2. How do you use the Right Hand Rule to determine the direction of the induced current?

To use the Right Hand Rule, hold your right hand out with your thumb pointing in the direction of the changing magnetic field. Then, curl your fingers in the direction of the current. The direction your fingers are pointing is the direction of the induced current.

3. Can you provide an example of using the Right Hand Rule for Lenz's Law?

One example of using the Right Hand Rule is in a simple circuit consisting of a battery, a switch, and a coil of wire. When the switch is turned off, the magnetic field in the coil collapses and induces a current in the opposite direction to that of the current when the switch was turned on.

4. What are some real-world applications of the Right Hand Rule for Lenz's Law?

The Right Hand Rule for Lenz's Law is used in a variety of applications, such as generators, transformers, and electric motors. It is also used in electromagnetic induction experiments and in the design of various electronic devices.

5. Are there any solutions or strategies for using the Right Hand Rule for Lenz's Law?

One strategy for using the Right Hand Rule is to practice visualizing the direction of the current and magnetic field in different scenarios. Additionally, it can be helpful to remember that the induced current will always flow in a direction that opposes the change in magnetic flux.