Right hand rule, vector and angles

In summary, the textbook states that a particle with a unit charge entering a magnetic field B = i + j and with velocity v = 17k will experience a force at an angle of 135 degrees with the positive x-axis in the xy-plane. This is determined using the right hand rule, or by taking the cross product of the velocity and magnetic field vectors.
SPhy

Homework Statement

A particle with a unit charge enters a magnetic field B = i + j with velocity v = 17k . Find the magnitude and direction of the force on the particle.

The Attempt at a Solution

Had no issues finding the magnitude. However, when finding the direction of the force on the particle, the textbook says by the right hand rule the force is applied at an angle of 135 degrees with the positive x-axis in the xy-plane. I understand how to apply the right hand rule and show the general direction of the vector ( I sketched it), but how did they come up with 135?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
SPhy said:

Homework Statement

A particle with a unit charge enters a magnetic field B = i + j with velocity v = 17k . Find the magnitude and direction of the force on the particle.

The Attempt at a Solution

Had no issues finding the magnitude. However, when finding the direction of the force on the particle, the textbook says by the right hand rule the force is applied at an angle of 135 degrees with the positive x-axis in the xy-plane. I understand how to apply the right hand rule and show the general direction of the vector ( I sketched it), but how did they come up with 135?

Thank you

Sketch the x-y-z axes (in a right-handed orientation so that the right-hand rule applies).

What's the angle that the magnetic field vector makes with the x-axis?

Remember that 135 = 90 + 45. Is that sufficient for you to figure it out?

Last edited:

1. What is the right hand rule?

The right hand rule is a method used in physics and mathematics to determine the direction of a vector (a quantity with both magnitude and direction) in three-dimensional space.

2. How do you use the right hand rule?

To use the right hand rule, you need to extend your right hand and make a fist. Then, align your fingers with the direction of the vector and curl them towards the direction of rotation. Your thumb will then point in the direction of the vector.

3. What is a vector?

A vector is a quantity that has both magnitude (size or amount) and direction. It is represented by an arrow with a specific length and direction, and it can be added or subtracted from other vectors to determine the overall direction and magnitude of a system.

4. How are vectors and angles related?

Vectors and angles are closely related because the direction of a vector can be described by its angle in relation to another vector or a coordinate axis. The length of a vector also affects the angle it makes with another vector or axis.

5. What is the significance of using the right hand rule?

The right hand rule is significant because it provides a consistent and convenient way to determine the direction of a vector in three-dimensional space. It is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other fields that involve working with vectors.