Rigid block between two cyllinders Ansys apdl

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the CE command to connect nodes of different cylinders with a rigid block of a specific width. However, when the problem is solved, stress continuity is not maintained between the two cylinders. It is suggested to use a contact condition instead of directly connecting nodes to avoid stress discontinuity due to the small contact area. The speaker also mentions the use of CE to implement a displacement discontinuity, but it results in doubled stress, which they want to avoid while maintaining stress continuity.
Shawndude
i want to analyse a two cylinders of different materials between which a rigid block of certain width exists. I am using CE command to connect the nodes of both the cylinders and the constant in Ce equation denotes the width of the the rigid block. When i solve the above problem , stress continuity is not maintained in both cylinders.that is, the stress at the outer radius of the inner cylinder is not equal to the stress at the inner radius of the outer cylinder.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Have you considered using a contact condition instead of directly connecting nodes? If it is a tangent condition it may be only a single node will be connected, which will result in a stress discontinuity due to the infinitesimal contact area.

Mech_Engineer said:
Have you considered using a contact condition instead of directly connecting nodes? If it is a tangent condition it may be only a single node will be connected, which will result in a stress discontinuity due to the infinitesimal contact area.
I am using CE so that i can implement the following condition:
UX1=n*UX2;
analytically i only want displacement discontinuity but when Implement CE ,the stress also becomes double . I want to maintain stress continuity but want displacement discontinuity.

1. What is the purpose of using the "Rigid block between two cylinders" feature in Ansys APDL?

The "Rigid block between two cylinders" feature in Ansys APDL is used to simulate the interaction between two cylindrical objects that are connected by a rigid block. This allows for more accurate analysis of the behavior and stresses in the system.

2. How do I define the geometry and dimensions of the two cylinders and the rigid block in Ansys APDL?

The geometry and dimensions of the two cylinders and the rigid block can be defined using the "CYLIND" and "BLOCK" commands in Ansys APDL. These commands allow you to specify the radius, length, and position of each object in the system.

3. Can I apply different loads and constraints to the cylinders and the rigid block in Ansys APDL?

Yes, you can apply different loads and constraints to the cylinders and the rigid block using the "D" and "F" commands in Ansys APDL. These commands allow you to specify the direction and magnitude of the load and constraint at specific locations.

4. How does the "Rigid block between two cylinders" feature handle contact and friction between the two objects?

The "Rigid block between two cylinders" feature in Ansys APDL automatically handles contact and friction between the two objects by creating a contact element between them. This element allows for accurate simulation of the interaction between the two objects, taking into account any frictional forces.

5. Can I use the "Rigid block between two cylinders" feature for nonlinear analysis in Ansys APDL?

Yes, the "Rigid block between two cylinders" feature can be used for both linear and nonlinear analysis in Ansys APDL. You can specify the material properties and behavior of each object, allowing for a wide range of analyses to be performed.