Ring contraction in a diazotisation reaction

In summary: The enol is in equilibrium with the formyl group, so it's not really an "exocyclic" double bond at all. What's more, the ring contraction does not take place until after the carbocation has formed. So, in a sense, the ring contraction is really just a way of getting the newly-formed carbocation into a more stable configuration. In summary, the carbocation formed in the diazotization reaction is more stable than the enol, and the ring contraction takes place to get it into a more stable configuration.
Physics lover
Homework Statement
Question is in My attempt section
Relevant Equations
None
20200411_201625.jpg

I know HNO2 favours diazotisation.So amine reacted and formed diazorised product with N+=NCl- which leaves and gives a carbocation to which OH- attacks.So according to me the answer should be cyclohexane-1,2-diol.
But in the answer key,cyclopentane carboxyaldehyde was given as answer.
I know it will be only formed when ring contraction takes place.But I can't guess why it would take place.Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Physics lover said:
gives a carbocation to which OH- attacks
Can you think of anything else that carbocation could do? In particular, could it form a more stable carbocation by rearranging?

mjc123 said:
Can you think of anything else that carbocation could do? In particular, could it form a more stable carbocation by rearranging?
yes the carbocation could do 1,2 H- shift with adjacent carbon to which other OH group is attached.

Physics lover said:
yes the carbocation could do 1,2 H- shift with adjacent carbon to which other OH group is attached.
I think the sane thing can also be achieved through a ring contraction.That will also give the same carbocation as of 1,2 H- shift.But according to me shift would be a better option because 6 membered ring is more stable than 5 membered ring.

Review the pinacol rearrangement.

chemisttree said:
Review the pinacol rearrangement.
ok i get your point.
So now,H+ would attact on any OH group and will form a carbocation.Further there will be rearrangement by 1,2 H-
shift.Now OH group removes its H+ and forms a ketone.
But i know that that exocyclic double bonds are unstable.So ring contraction will take place to give aldehyde.Am i right?

Almost. The pinacol rearrangement classically starts with a 1,2-diol and strong acid. The acid protonates one of the alcohols and makes it a good leaving group. The protonated alcohol leaves and we have a carbocation adjacent to an alcohol. That intermediate is what you should focus on. By whatever mechanism, be it protonated alcohol leaving or a diazotized amine leaving, you arrive at the same thing... carbocation adjacent to a secondary alcohol. Pinacol rearrangement follows.

The diazotization route allows you to control which carbon becomes the carbocation. Might be important someday.

chemisttree said:
Almost. The pinacol rearrangement classically starts with a 1,2-diol and strong acid. The acid protonates one of the alcohols and makes it a good leaving group. The protonated alcohol leaves and we have a carbocation adjacent to an alcohol. That intermediate is what you should focus on. By whatever mechanism, be it protonated alcohol leaving or a diazotized amine leaving, you arrive at the same thing... carbocation adjacent to a secondary alcohol. Pinacol rearrangement follows.

The diazotization route allows you to control which carbon becomes the carbocation. Might be important someday.
Thank you :)
By the way I just wanted to know whether my explanation for ring contraction to take place is correct or not.

I don’t think so. Starting with the newly-formed carbocation, allow the carbon on the other side of the alcohol to migrate over to the cation. In this process, it is likely the bond breaking and bond forming process occurs simultaneously via a three-member (C-C-C) ring structure where the carbocation is smoothly converted to a neutral entity and the positive charge develops on the oxygen as a protonated oxonium ion which is MUCH more stable and the driving force for this rearrangement. The free lone pair of electrons on the alcohol oxygen starts the process by forming a carbonyl which weakens the C-C bond allowing it to migrate efficiently. What is formed is the enol of an aldehyde which is in equilibrium with formyl group of course.

chemisttree said:
I don’t think so. Starting with the newly-formed carbocation, allow the carbon on the other side of the alcohol to migrate over to the cation. In this process, it is likely the bond breaking and bond forming process occurs simultaneously via a three-member (C-C-C) ring structure where the carbocation is smoothly converted to a neutral entity and the positive charge develops on the oxygen as a protonated oxonium ion which is MUCH more stable and the driving force for this rearrangement. The free lone pair of electrons on the alcohol oxygen starts the process by forming a carbonyl which weakens the C-C bond allowing it to migrate efficiently. What is formed is the enol of an aldehyde which is in equilibrium with formyl group of course.
Thanks for your efforts but can you please tell me in simple words.I cannot understand what really happened.
Can you please tell me what's wrong in my solution.We know that exocyclic double bonds are unstable so the reaction would take other path after the formation of carbocation.

E6F13880-0AED-44E2-B6AB-5304701A7237.jpeg

There is NO HYDRIDE SHIFT in this reaction.

chemisttree said:
View attachment 260489
Thanks a lot.I got it.

Great. I believe I may have mislead you a bit though. What is formed is NOT an enol (my post#9) but simply a protonated aldehyde. ::faceslap::

chemisttree said:
Great. I believe I may have mislead you a bit though. What is formed is NOT an enol (my post#9) but simply a protonated aldehyde. ::faceslap::
yes by that statement i was confused but now it's all clear.

chemisttree said:
By the way i wanted to PM you.But why that option is not available🤔

I just reviewed my settings. Reset to “Members Only”. Fire away!

chemisttree said:
View attachment 260489
I am a little confused again.
Here as we see 1,2 methyl shift takes place since there is no hydrogen on any carbon attached with OH group.
But if hydrogen is there will not hydride shift take place,as hydrogen has better shifting tendency.
Please explain.

Hydrogen does not have a better tendency to shift in this case. The extra stability of the oxonium ion vs the carbocation drives this. Hydride shifts are governed by small differences in carbocation stability. Carbocation vs oxonium is a large difference in stability. You cannot generate a carbocation easily. Look at the special conditions required for an E1 elimination, for example.
This 1,3-carbon shift occurs because the alcohol is protonated, a free lone pair from oxygen forms a carbonyl which weakens the C-C bond on the other side of the carbonyl (than the carbocation). The cation adjacent to carbonyl is stabilized somewhat by the newly forming pi system kind of like an enol stabilization.

chemisttree said:
Hydrogen does not have a better tendency to shift in this case. The extra stability of the oxonium ion vs the carbocation drives this. Hydride shifts are governed by small differences in carbocation stability. Carbocation vs oxonium is a large difference in stability. You cannot generate a carbocation easily. Look at the special conditions required for an E1 elimination, for example.
This 1,3-carbon shift occurs because the alcohol is protonated, a free lone pair from oxygen forms a carbonyl which weakens the C-C bond on the other side of the carbonyl (than the carbocation). The cation adjacent to carbonyl is stabilized somewhat by the newly forming pi system kind of like an enol stabilization.
ok thanks for the help.

1. What is ring contraction in a diazotisation reaction?

Ring contraction in a diazotisation reaction refers to the process in which a diazonium ion undergoes a rearrangement, leading to the formation of a smaller ring structure.

2. How does ring contraction occur in a diazotisation reaction?

In a diazotisation reaction, the diazonium ion can undergo a rearrangement through a process called a Wolff rearrangement. This involves the migration of a substituent from one carbon atom to another, resulting in a smaller ring structure.

3. What factors influence ring contraction in a diazotisation reaction?

The extent of ring contraction in a diazotisation reaction can be influenced by various factors such as the nature of the substituents on the diazonium ion, the reaction conditions, and the presence of any catalysts.

4. What are the products of ring contraction in a diazotisation reaction?

The products of ring contraction in a diazotisation reaction can vary depending on the starting materials and reaction conditions. Generally, the products are smaller ring structures with a nitrogen atom attached to the ring.

5. What are the applications of ring contraction in a diazotisation reaction?

Ring contraction in a diazotisation reaction can be used in various synthetic processes to produce a variety of compounds, including pharmaceuticals, dyes, and agrochemicals. It is also a useful tool in organic synthesis for creating complex ring structures.