Ring Oscillator with a set frequency at 10kHz (low)

In summary, a ring oscillator frequency is determined by inverter delay and parasitic delays, which can be modified using external components. For on-chip measurements, a spectrum analyzer is recommended for accurate results.
Ntonio
Hello (this is not a homework)

I have a doubt about the ring oscillator. I have to create a R.O. with a frequency of 10kHz, now I know i have to link an odd number of inverters in a ring form, but using the formula of (f=1/2*n*Tp) it gives me a frequency in the Megas, I've red you can use a RC (f=1/1.2RC) but how to do so?! do I place it anywhere in between the first and the second inverters, and if i do that how many inverters do I use?!

If you could help me understand I would appreciate =)
thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Ntonio said:
Hello (this is not a homework)

I have a doubt about the ring oscillator. I have to create a R.O. with a frequency of 10kHz, now I know i have to link an odd number of inverters in a ring form, but using the formula of (f=1/2*n*Tp) it gives me a frequency in the Megas, I've red you can use a RC (f=1/1.2RC) but how to do so?! do I place it anywhere in between the first and the second inverters, and if i do that how many inverters do I use?!

If you could help me understand I would appreciate =)
thanks

A ring oscillator frequency is determined by inverter delay (Tp of the inverter) plus any parasitic caused delays. For typical ring oscillators on-chip, these parasitics will be small and ignorable. This is why the primary use of ROs is to characterize semiconductor manufacturing processes and do that by determining the prop delay of a prototypical logical gate.

If you build a ring oscillator from actual TTL/CMOS ICs, the parasitics can be significant. You may even need to explicitly add parasitics if you need to control the frequency. That's probably where the RC reference comes in. You need to modify the prop delay to get a low enough frequency.

The other issue is how you measure the frequency of the ring oscillator. Using a frequency counter or oscilloscope is generally fraught with accuracy issues if you are building an RO on-chip. For a TTL/CMOS RO, you can get by with them.

Both of these instruments are time-domain, which is a bad starting place for determining RO frequency. The frequency counter has to threshold properly to make a correct measurement which requires having a substantial signal level. The oscilloscope is generally low resolution in terms of vertical accuracy compared to other instruments; good for qualitative but not so much for quantitative accuracy.

For on-chip RO measurements, always use a spectrum analyzer as it has logarithmic vertical scale and can resolve multiple frequency components that can appear in a RO output and distort the time-domain signal. SAs are what most semiconductor firms use for RO testing on-chip.

1. What is a ring oscillator?

A ring oscillator is a type of electronic circuit that generates a continuous oscillating signal without the use of an external input. It consists of an odd number of inverters connected in a loop, with the output of the last inverter fed back to the input of the first inverter.

2. How does a ring oscillator produce a frequency?

A ring oscillator produces a frequency by repeatedly inverting and amplifying the input signal as it travels around the loop of inverters. The number of inverters in the loop and the propagation delay of each inverter determine the frequency of the output signal.

3. What is the significance of a set frequency at 10kHz for a ring oscillator?

A set frequency at 10kHz means that the output signal of the ring oscillator will have a frequency of 10,000 cycles per second. This frequency is commonly used for low frequency applications such as clock signals for digital systems.

4. How does a ring oscillator maintain a constant frequency?

A ring oscillator maintains a constant frequency by using a feedback mechanism. As the output signal travels around the loop of inverters, any variations in the propagation delay of the inverters will be amplified and fed back into the input, causing the output frequency to remain stable.

5. What are the advantages of using a ring oscillator with a set frequency at 10kHz for low frequency applications?

There are several advantages of using a ring oscillator with a set frequency at 10kHz for low frequency applications. These include its simplicity, low power consumption, and stability. It also has a small footprint and can be easily integrated into integrated circuits. Additionally, 10kHz is a standard frequency used in many digital systems, making it a convenient choice for clock signals and other low frequency applications.