Solving the Rising Bubble Problem using Bernoulli's Equation

In summary, the problem considers a spherical bubble of radius R rising in water, and the goal is to use Bernoulli's equation to show the rate of rise of the bubble. The attempt at a solution involves considering the problem from the bubble's frame and using Bernoulli's equation at points on either side of the stagnation point. The angle theta represents the angle from the vertical axis of the sphere, and integrating over the entire surface is necessary to get the total force. By assuming a small theta and expanding, the correct answer is obtained.
LoopQG

Homework Statement

Consider a spherical bubble of radius R,rising in water. Using Bernoulli's equation show that the rate of rise of the bubble is:

[tex] U=(2/3) \sqrt(gR) [/tex]

Homework Equations

Bernoulli Equation
Potential Flow

The Attempt at a Solution

I have considered the problem from the bubble's frame so the rate of rise is just the velocity of the uniform flow around the sphere. I know that there is a stagnation point right at the top of the bubble. So Taking Bernoulli's at points on either side of the stagnation point is what I have been doing but I must be setting it up wrong because i don't see where to get that 2/3 from. Any help appreciated.

From Bernoulli's i get:

[tex] U= \sqrt(2gR(1-cos(\theta))) [/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Try integrating over theta. :)

Do you mean take [tex] dU/d\theta [/tex]

which equals

[tex] \sqrt(2gR)(1/2)(1-cos(\theta))^(-1/2) sin(\theta) [/tex]

but then integrating that don't i just get the same thing back?

If not at what point should I consider integrating. I see where you are going with this because the flow velocity is zero at the boundary layers but I just am not sure how to apply it. Thanks for the help!

What does theta in your Bernoulli equation stand for?

The angle from the vertical axis of the sphere, grcos(\theta) is the gravitational force at that point

LoopQG said:
The angle from the vertical axis of the sphere, grcos(\theta) is the gravitational force at that point

So to get the total force you would have to integrate over the entire surface? :)

Thanks a lot for the help, I ended up assuming a small [tex] \theta [/tex] then expnding and I get the right answer.

1. How does Bernoulli's Equation explain the rising bubble problem?

Bernoulli's Equation states that the total energy of a fluid remains constant as it flows through a pipe. In the context of the rising bubble problem, this means that as the bubble rises, it experiences a decrease in pressure due to the increasing velocity of the surrounding fluid. This decrease in pressure allows the bubble to continue rising against the force of gravity.

2. Can Bernoulli's Equation be used to accurately predict the motion of bubbles?

While Bernoulli's Equation provides a useful framework for understanding the rising bubble problem, it does not take into account certain factors such as surface tension and the complex shape of a bubble. Therefore, it may not always accurately predict the exact motion of bubbles, but it can provide a good estimate.

3. What other factors besides Bernoulli's Equation affect the motion of bubbles?

As mentioned before, surface tension and bubble shape are important factors to consider when studying the motion of bubbles. Other factors that can affect the motion include the presence of other objects in the fluid, such as obstacles or other bubbles, and the density and viscosity of the surrounding fluid.

4. How can Bernoulli's Equation be applied to real-world scenarios involving bubbles?

Bernoulli's Equation has many practical applications, including in the study of fluid dynamics and aerodynamics. In the context of bubbles, it can be used to understand and predict the behavior of bubbles in various scenarios, such as in ocean currents or in industrial processes.

5. Are there any limitations to using Bernoulli's Equation to solve the rising bubble problem?

While Bernoulli's Equation is a useful tool in understanding the rising bubble problem, it does have its limitations. It assumes idealized conditions, such as a perfect fluid and no external forces acting on the bubble. In reality, these assumptions may not always hold true, so other equations and models may need to be used in conjunction with Bernoulli's Equation to fully solve the problem.