1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

River Boat

1. Nov 3, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A river flows toward 90 degrees. A river boat pilot heads the boat at 297 degrees and is able to go straight across the river at 6 m/s.

2. Relevant equations
    What is the velocity of the current?
    What is the velocity of the boat?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I drew a free bodied diagram but i dont know what to put where.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2007 #2
    now the first question you have to ask yourself is the angle between the the direction in which the boat is steered and the direction of the river flow.

once you have done this, the velocities can be easily found by sine rule in a non-right angled triangle.

4. Nov 3, 2007 #3
    k thanks.

5. Nov 3, 2007 #4
    wait so i found the angle between the current and the boat but what are the other two angles?

6. Nov 3, 2007 #5

learningphysics

Homework Helper

It's actually a right triangle... the hypoteneuse is the velocity of the boat... the two legs of the right triangle are the river velocity and the net velocity of 6m/s to the right.

7. Nov 3, 2007 #6
    thanks

8. Nov 3, 2007 #7
    oh yeh its a right angled tiangle, how could i have missed that haha i guess i was feeling too sleepy

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?