RL circuit Q. I must be missed something simple

In summary: This is because vL(t) and vR(t) have the same time interval (i.e. they are at the same point in the AC cycle).This is also why the voltage across the inductor is just the square root of the amplitude of the source vo!tage squared minus the amplitude of the resistor voltage squared,where "amplitude" refers to the peak value of the sinusoidal waveform (you can also scale this to RMS values).For a long time I was thinking that the 85 V drop on the R was measured at some particular time in the AC cycle, and that's why it wasn't simply a matter of the V over the inductor being 110 -
kostoglotov

Homework Statement

oTmYCwD.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I would show my working, but honestly, I'd really just like a hint as to how to begin, because I've tried multiple different things and just gotten tangled up in multiple equations that are way more complicated looking than the problem itself...I must be missing something simple.

The chapter prior to it is using phasors for all these exercises.

Physics news on Phys.org
First, you draw the circuit and mark on the vo!tages, and label them. In AC circuits, voltages have a magnitude and a phase.

Then you show how they are added, using Pythagoras.

Likes kostoglotov
NascentOxygen said:
First, you draw the circuit and mark on the vo!tages, and label them. In AC circuits, voltages have a magnitude and a phase.

Then you show how they are added, using Pythagoras.

So the voltage across the inductor is just the square root of the source voltage squared minus the resistor voltage squared. That gets the right answer. But I don't fully understand why.

For a long time I was thinking that the 85 V drop on the R was measured at some particular time in the AC cycle, and that's why it wasn't simply a matter of the V over the inductor being 110 - 85.

So, is it because the voltage is leading the current on the inductor? Isn't this basically a violation of KVL? (I'm not saying it is, I'm saying that's what it looks like to me right now). Because 85 + 69.82 doesn't add up to 110. How can we have more total voltage drops in our loop than exist at our source at any given time?

edit: wait, when the V over the R is 85 the V over the L won't be 69.82 will it? 69.82 will be the maximum V drop over the L...?

Last edited:
kostoglotov said:
So the voltage across the inductor is just the square root of the source voltage squared minus the resistor voltage squared. That gets the right answer. But I don't fully understand why.
... the square root of the amplitude of the source vo!tage squared minus the amplitude of the resistor voltage squared,

where "amplitude" refers to the peak value of the sinusoidal waveform (you can also scale this to RMS values).

For a long time I was thinking that the 85 V drop on the R was measured at some particular time in the AC cycle, and that's why it wasn't simply a matter of the V over the inductor being 110 - 85.
By convention, the figure of 85 refers to [unless otherwise stated] the RMS value of the sinusoid; just as does the 110.

when the V over the R is 85 the V over the L won't be 69.82 will it? 69.82 will be the maximum V drop over the L...?
Right.

KVL holds at every instance. When vR(t)is momentarily at 85, then to this the algebraic addition of vL(t) at that instant will equal the value of the mains sinusoid at that instant.

Likes kostoglotov

1. What is an RL circuit?

An RL circuit is an electrical circuit that contains both a resistor (R) and an inductor (L). It is used to control the flow of electricity and is commonly used in electronic devices.

2. How does an RL circuit work?

An RL circuit works by creating an electromagnetic field in the inductor when current passes through it. This field then induces a voltage across the inductor, which opposes the flow of current.

3. What is the purpose of an RL circuit?

The purpose of an RL circuit is to regulate the flow of current in an electrical circuit. It can also be used to filter out unwanted frequencies in a signal.

4. What is the difference between an RL circuit and an RC circuit?

An RL circuit contains an inductor and a resistor, while an RC circuit contains a resistor and a capacitor. The main difference is in how they respond to changes in voltage and current. In an RL circuit, the voltage leads the current, while in an RC circuit, the current leads the voltage.

5. How do I calculate the time constant in an RL circuit?

The time constant in an RL circuit can be calculated by dividing the inductance (L) by the resistance (R). It is represented by the symbol τ (tau) and is measured in seconds.