RLC circuit and rate of increase of current

In summary, the capacitor and inductor are both increasing their voltage, but the rate at which the capacitor is increasing is zero, while the rate of increase of inductor is non-zero.
hell-hawk
Ok, I am having a problem with a RLC circuit and my teacher was unable to offer a satisfactory explanation. Hope that you'll help.
Consider a DC battery, a switch, a resistor, a capacitor and an inductor in series. Before t=0 the switch is open and assume that the circuit has achieved steady state. This means that the capacitor voltage is 0 and so is the inductor current. At t=0 the switch is closed. It follows that at t=0+ (i.e. just after t=0) the capacitor voltage will be 0 and so will the inductor current. It also follows that the voltage across the inductor at t=0+ will be V, i.e. the voltage of the source (the capacitor is acting as short-circuit and the inductor as open circuit). Therefore the rate of change of current in the circuit at t=0+ will be some positive value (from v=L di/dt). But the rate at which the capacitor voltage is increasing is ZERO at t=0+ (from i=C dv/dt; i=0). How could the rate of increase of current in the inductor be non-zero, but the rate of increase of voltage in the capacitor be zero? If one is increasing, shouldn't the other as well?
Please explain in physical terms and not mathematical. I'll be highly grateful.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I will try to explain as best that I can

hell-hawk said:
Ok, I am having a problem with a RLC circuit and my teacher was unable to offer a satisfactory explanation. Hope that you'll help.
Consider a DC battery, a switch, a resistor, a capacitor and an inductor in series. Before t=0 the switch is open and assume that the circuit has achieved steady state. This means that the capacitor voltage is 0 and so is the inductor current. At t=0 the switch is closed. It follows that at t=0+ (i.e. just after t=0) the capacitor voltage will be 0 and so will the inductor current. It also follows that the voltage across the inductor at t=0+ will be V, i.e. the voltage of the source (the capacitor is acting as short-circuit and the inductor as open circuit). Therefore the rate of change of current in the circuit at t=0+ will be some positive value (from v=L di/dt)..

Up till here, you are correct!

hell-hawk said:
But the rate at which the capacitor voltage is increasing is ZERO at t=0+ (from i=C dv/dt; i=0). How could the rate of increase of current in the inductor be non-zero, but the rate of increase of voltage in the capacitor be zero? If one is increasing, shouldn't the other as well?
Please explain in physical terms and not mathematical. I'll be highly grateful.

There is a slight misconception here. You are saying that the current i at time t=0 is zero, using the current continuity of the inductor i(0+)=0, i.e. physically, the current cannot have a discontinuity jump at time t=0. But there is no current continuity at the capacitor, i.e. at time t=0, i(0-)=0 AND
i(0+)=some value. So the rate of increase of capacitor voltage is NOT zero.
Hence the capacitor voltage is increasing at a positive rate together with the inductor current at time t=0+

I may be wrong, because it has been one year ago since I touch on this concept. If I am wrong, can someone please advice. Thanks.

In a RLC circuit, the inductor and capacitor store energy in the form of magnetic and electric fields, respectively. When the switch is closed at t=0, the circuit is no longer in steady state and the energy stored in the inductor and capacitor must be redistributed. This redistribution of energy causes the current in the circuit to change.

At t=0, the capacitor voltage is 0 and the inductor current is also 0. This means that there is no changing electric field in the capacitor and no changing magnetic field in the inductor. However, the voltage across the inductor is equal to the source voltage, which means that there is a changing magnetic field in the inductor. This changing magnetic field induces an electric field in the circuit, causing the current to increase.

On the other hand, the capacitor voltage does not change at t=0 because the current through it is 0. In order for the capacitor voltage to change, there must be a changing electric field in the capacitor. However, since the capacitor is acting as a short circuit, there is no changing electric field in the capacitor and therefore no change in voltage.

In summary, the rate of increase of current in the inductor is non-zero because there is a changing magnetic field in the inductor, while the rate of increase of voltage in the capacitor is zero because there is no changing electric field in the capacitor. This is due to the different ways in which the inductor and capacitor store and release energy in a circuit.

What is an RLC circuit?

An RLC circuit is a type of electrical circuit that contains a resistor, inductor, and capacitor. These three components are connected in series or parallel and create a resonant frequency when an alternating current flows through the circuit.

What factors affect the rate of increase of current in an RLC circuit?

The rate of increase of current in an RLC circuit is affected by the inductance, capacitance, and resistance of the circuit. A higher inductance or capacitance will slow down the rate of increase, while a higher resistance will decrease the rate of increase.

How can the rate of increase of current be calculated in an RLC circuit?

The rate of increase of current in an RLC circuit can be calculated using the equation dI/dt = (V/R) * (1 - e^(-Rt/L)), where dI/dt is the rate of increase, V is the applied voltage, R is the resistance, t is time, and L is the inductance.

What is the significance of the rate of increase of current in an RLC circuit?

The rate of increase of current in an RLC circuit is an important factor in determining the oscillation frequency of the circuit. It also affects the stability and efficiency of the circuit's operation.

How does the rate of increase of current change in a series versus a parallel RLC circuit?

In a series RLC circuit, the rate of increase of current decreases with time due to the presence of the inductor. In a parallel RLC circuit, the rate of increase of current increases with time due to the presence of the capacitor. This is because the inductor and capacitor have opposite effects on the current in these types of circuits.